Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William faulkner

Chesterboy

In Beaumetz-les-Cambrai military cemetery No 1 

there are around 182 unknown British soldiers.  In plot 2, Row A which is a collective grave

is a ubs, which had the service number of 37481 and the date of 3.18.  Which is March 1918.  

there is only 1 soldier with that number is G/37481 Private William Faulkner, 11th Battalion, The Queens ( Royal West Surrey Regiment who died on the 23rd March 1918 and he is on the Arras Memorial. 

is the UBS is William Faulkner 

what do you think and should I submit a case.  

47167E02-A51E-4132-A809-DDD7DEE822C6.jpeg

0EE6F180-E744-4305-89D9-1D82A6CDF5CD.jpeg

2 hours ago, Chesterboy said:

In plot 2, Row A which is a collective grave

is a ubs, which had the service number of 37481 and the date of 3.18.  Which is March 1918.  

Where do those  facts come from particularly regarding the service number?

5 hours ago, Chesterboy said:

what do you think and should I submit a case.  

It would never be accepted unless you find more convincing documents. The GRRF form is just the opposite, it has a RU note which indicates that there was sufficient evidence in 1925 that it was NOT him, so how to prove that it is him?

3 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Where do those  facts come from particularly regarding the service number?

It was a German cemetery, so probably from the crosses or a German burial list. There are no indications that they were exhumed for identification.

Luc.

Chesterboy - Having gone through this process myself, the bar that would have to be crossed would be higher than 'its very likely' - which means you have effectively got to be certain. Having a single piece of evidence is rarely enough, however tempting you or I think it is. I really think you would need at least one other piece of solid supporting evidence before the reviewing authorities would take a serious look at this. Sorry - I know that's not what you want to hear.

Simon

22 hours ago, LDT006 said:

it has a RU note which indicates that there was sufficient evidence in 1925 that it was NOT him,

That being definitive as far as CWGC would be concerned.

His entry in Soldiers Effects register states ‘death presumed’, have you had a look for a PoW using his particulars?

As far as I can see it’s a non starter Chesterboy, just out of interest what is a ‘cob’?