Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Smiling Tiger bayonet number

JMB1943

Image 4 - Rare Siam Wild Tiger Bayonet British Pattern 1907 with Scabbard 192248B

NO comments on the tiger head!!

Interpretation of serial number requested ONLY---I have my 4 numbers in my head, but don't want to bias the thoughts of others.

Regards,

JMB

Gentlemen,

My thoughts (almost) exactly, because I entered it as 2912, but 2902 it is!!!

Regards,

JMB

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing the stamping's on quite a few of these Siamese bayonets, would I be correct in saying that the stamping's on this one look a little unusual.

Cheers

Yes, I would certainly have to agree with you.

The head, especially, has a very unusual appearance and even the numerals look somewhat different from normal.

If I were going to make a Smiling Tiger, I would probably be taken aback by the cost of having ( in this case) at least 3 dies for numerals plus the head, made in a harder steel than the blade of the bayonet. Presumably an even harder steel is required to make the dies.

Maybe for someone with machining skills the costs would be less, and it then becomes just a fun exercise……….

Regards,

JMB

It could be already a refurbished bayonet, with additional stamps, the nummeral are simplifyed evidently so it could be later period, same as some old digits are there visible, question is too for what was the brazing on crossguard area? fixing the crosspiece?

I believe that the cross guard and pommel are both brazed onto the blade's of the Pat. 1907 bayonet, looks like this one is showing more brass than usual because most original finish is missing. The position of that odd looking tiger head is off the mark to where they are usually stamped. 

The whole bayonet looks like someone's own attempt to copy a smiling tiger bayonet for some reason but I don't think it would fool most collectors if they checked out original marked bayonets.

Anyway it was something different to check out.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...
On 22/11/2021 at 08:19, JMB1943 said:

The head, especially, has a very unusual appearance and even the numerals look somewhat different from normal.

If I were going to make a Smiling Tiger, I would probably be taken aback by the cost of having ( in this case) at least 3 dies for numerals plus the head, made in a harder steel than the blade of the bayonet. Presumably an even harder steel is required to make the dies.

Maybe for someone with machining skills the costs would be less, and it then becomes just a fun exercise……….

Regards,

JMB

Looks to not be a die stamp? But someone with an chisel engraver or sharp hammer and chisel that has gone over the markings 

kind regards

g

Even to an 'outsider' like me that tiger looks odd...

Trajan

On 22/11/2021 at 08:19, JMB1943 said:

Regards,

JMB

Having now looked at many Siamese bayonets today because I got sidetracked, is that a 1907 or is it another type of Siamese bayonet that has been brazed to a 1907??. The marking look suspiciously like other Siamese bayonets not the markings from the BSA production run. It would explain the "Tiger" and why it has been chiseled in. 

Kind regards,

g

Navydoc,

NONE of the markings match those normally seen on the Smiling Tiger Bayonets produced by BSA.

As far as I am aware, the Siamese had other bayonets/rifles systems ( Mauser) before the Lee-Enfield but these did not have a tiger head stamp.

Regards,

JMB

Yes I am just wondering, if that is another siamese bayonet blade (not from a 1907 BSA Contract) that has been brazed to a 1907 or 66 crossguard/grip unit. 

The numbers looks like the markings found on some of the other Siamese bayonets was what I was getting at, wondering if someone has put them together? as the Tiger looks chiseled in - Not stamped. and the braze line seems rather off.... 

do you have any more photos? 

maybe im confused and its late haha 

kind regards,

g