Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New First World War Digital Archive launches - The Ogilby Muster

jaykayu

3 hours ago, David Porter said:

I have the catalogues for the Royal Artillery Museum collection. But it has been admitted that "the catalogue entries on much of our material aren’t as detailed as they could be". 
Anyway, as a broad guide:

Thank you very much for posting that - it's immediately let me see how the hits I've been getting fit into the wider content of one the MDs, and that if I use a different search term there's other related and relevant items.

16 hours ago, Moonraker said:

I found that, by changing the last digit in the page title in the address bar, one could work backwards and forwards through a multi-page article, as in https://www.theogilbymuster.com/record/1087338.

Changing t he "8" to "7" takes one to the preceding page, to "9" the following page.

It's trial & error when trying to find the first page and I think that not all articles may have an "address" that ends in a digit.

Ta - I had tried that but found it slightly easier to wild card the item reference, spot the first page in thumbnails, and take it from there ... but that's just me.

On 06/02/2022 at 11:41, David Porter said:

But it has been admitted that "the catalogue entries on much of our material aren’t as detailed as they could be". 

David, plunging into the detailed downloads they are incredibly useful and help to make sense of some of my searches. There is obviously a lot in the catalogue that is not (yet) on AMOT site.

I know of at least one personal diary that was deposited with the RA Museum but it doen't appear in the MR catalogue. A number of MR categories have 'misplaced' against them- ie temporarily lost? Was this part of the relocation turmoil?

So clearly the index is incomplete ?

Charlie

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

There is obviously a lot in the catalogue that is not (yet) on AMOT site.

Yes, I spent a long time going through the catalogues and doing a text search. It was obvious that not everything, within their criteria, had been uploaded. This was a while ago and the archive updated since, but there are still some gaps. 

On 06/02/2022 at 05:41, David Porter said:

I have the catalogues for the Royal Artillery Museum collection. But it has been admitted that "the catalogue entries on much of our material aren’t as detailed as they could be". 
Anyway, as a broad guide:

Pointed an academic friend (who had about given up on TOM) at this and he's extremely grateful. 

1 hour ago, ALAN MCMAHON said:

As an innocent and a tyro, I must admit I found this site a complete mess.  The old jibe about a camel being a horse designed by a committee seems true. Now I know that this is Committee Horse Mark II.  Far too much junk that is readily available elsewhere And there seem to have been some large projects that have digitised all sorts of stuff-and nary an ounce of co-operation between the lot of them. I have already worked through "The Snapper" to help a Yorkshire friend-but now it has been digitised again. Far too many penny packets and no co-ordination. 

And it looks like some of the larger and more savvy  regimental archives are not playing ball just yet. I know that HAC is on FMP-and Coldstream, Surrey,Scots, etc.  Yes, odd bits and pieces but as a comprehensive  digitisation of under-used regimental records?   No- in David Jacobs and "Juke Box Jury" terms , I'm voting this one a "Miss"

I'm giving it time and hoping they take on board the comments here.

On 06/02/2022 at 21:41, David Porter said:

I have these lists too and was looking forward to seeing this one:-

AL/849 - CHRISTIE, Lt. Alexander Wesley RGA (TF)
-9 B/W photographs relating to his service with 297 Siege Battery RGA (19 Brigade RGA) [19 HAG] in France during the First World War showing the battlefield, a battle damaged Mark IV Female Tank at Flesquiers, and a BL 6 inch 26 cwt Howitzer Mk 1

Unfortunately, I cannot find it on The Ogilby Muster....is it me?

Cheers

I've been reading the non-commercial agreement we enter into with this website. And I am confused.

Without paying a penny I can read a document. But can I cite that document in a journal article?

TOM consider non-commercial use of purchased items to include 

4.3.3 use in a research paper, dissertation or thesis submitted by a student at an educational establishment, provided this is not used for commercial purposes (so not if the student or educational establishment charges for access or use of it or if it is published in a journal)

Well, I'm not a student (and if TOM think the authors of articles in academic journals get paid they really do need a reality check). But they go onto say that 

4.5.1 these terms do not affect your freedom under fair dealing or fair use or any other copyright or database right exception or limitation;

And 'fair use' I have always taken to include citations in articles, or any other work, commercial or otherwise. Or are they talking purely about using images of documents rather than citing the content?

I'll doubtless end up asking TOM, but wondered what the collective understanding is. Because at 4 quid a footnote they're not on.

• 1 year later...

The Muster has moved from Salisbury to Lyneham:

After many years in Salisbury, AMOT HQ is on the move! The experiences of the pandemic have changed the way in which the AMOT staff work, using a mix of remote and hybrid, and we have found that a permanent location is no longer needed. Therefore, we have moved out of our offices at The Rifles Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment Museum, officially leaving at end of March.To allow for hybrid working to continue, we have taken space at the REME Museum in Lyneham, Wiltshire and staff will work from here for several days of the week.

For all post, please send it to our new address:
FAO Army Museums Ogilby Trust
REME Museum
Calne Road
Lyneham
Wiltshire
SN15 4XX

Our phone number remains the same, though will go direct to voicemail. A member of staff will get back to you as soon as possible.All email addresses are remaining the same so if you do need to contact us, please email the relevant member of AMOT staff or if you are unsure who to direct your question to, please email info@armymuseums.org.uk.

Our thanks go to The Rifles Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment Museum for providing us with a home for so many years, and our thanks also go to the REME Museum for providing us with a new space to test new ways of working.