Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Great War Accounts

other ranker

I have been collecting these books for several years now. They are usually really well written and considered classics down under. Many of the best have been gathered in the 'Gallant Legion' series. See the picture for the titles. Do you have any favourites?

102046_00.jpg

That's a fine set of books . I've not read many Aussie accounts but my favourite isn't one of those above , it's Mitchell's 'Backs to the Wall '. I thought that 'The Gallant Company' was very good but couldn't get far with 'The Silent Division' as it felt more like a unit history than a memoir . I must get around to reading 'Jacka's Mob' , 'Hell's Bells' and 'Iron in the fire' sometime but at the moment i'm concentrating on the air war , so will probably be reading 'Aces and Kings' soon . I had a blitz on reading my escaping books but they were all Western Front so didn't read 'Guests of the Unspeakable ' The P.O.W books of that campaign are another group of books i must read someday , i did read '450 miles to freedom' and thought it was brilliant . I suppose it's a case of so many books and so little time to read them .

National Library of Australia catalogue entry which gives some details of the books above, which mainly appear to have been published in the early-mid 1930s

https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Search/Home?lookfor="Gallant+Legion"&type=all&limit[]=&submit=Find

Monash's book is available online:

The Australian Victories in France in 1918 by Lieutenant-General Sir John Monash [1920] Archive.org. Images and maps from the book (different digital file) Archive.org.

A rather nice set - are they yours? I find I’ve got 6 of them in various editions and I’ve only read 3. Of those I probably liked Idriess ‘Desert Column’ best but it’s been so long since I read it I can’t recall much about it. It’s certainly the hardest and most expensive to find of all the Aussie memoirs.

I have all but two in the Gallant Legion issues, but have them all in one form or  another from the 1930's

1 hour ago, other ranker said:

I have all but two in the Gallant Legion issues, but have them all in one form or  another from the 1930's

What's your favourite (s) ?

'Hells Bells' is good, but my favourite is,' The Gallant Company'. I am currently reading the follow up to it, 'Comrades Of The Great Adventure' see the scan attached.

scan0001.jpg

This is my favourite.  Manely because GF gets a mention on page 18320211031_174433.jpg.5e41425fc451266ee38e1827a3ecb029.jpg

Thinking about it a bit more, my favourite Australian account isn’t part of the ‘Gallant Company’ series. It’s this unit history by Eric Wren. Published by Ronald Macdonald in 1935.

9324EF61-0047-4660-8959-EA3A2FAFEB75.jpeg.42f69836c76a84c7ba67f83ebc210b49.jpeg

4 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Thinking about it a bit more, my favourite Australian account isn’t part of the ‘Gallant Company’ series. It’s this unit history by Eric Wren. Published by Ronald Macdonald in 1935.

9324EF61-0047-4660-8959-EA3A2FAFEB75.jpeg.42f69836c76a84c7ba67f83ebc210b49.jpeg

Does this read as a straight history? I have not seen it before.

Does this read as a straight history? I have not seen it before.

It’s a fairly standard battalion history drawing on numerous individual accounts but it’s much better written than many similar histories. There are a few, fairly expensive copies on ABE, but apparently this jacket is rare.

On 03/11/2021 at 04:38, frev said:

This reminded me of a very old 'thread' that may be of interest:

Cheers, Frev

Frev, thanks for the heads up. Better start looking for some of those!

On 01/11/2021 at 04:54, 17107BM said:

This is my favourite.  Manely because GF gets a mention on page 18320211031_174433.jpg.5e41425fc451266ee38e1827a3ecb029.jpg

This is one of the best AIF battalion histories written. Not the usual laudatory account, but a fine analysis of the battalion and its actions. Has a good analysis of the 47th's action at the Battle of Dernancourt, and challenges some of Bean's Official History account. Highly recommended. 

20200929_203016.jpg

Hello Crunchy. 

I was lucky enough to meet, at the 2017 Battle of Messines Commemorations. The Grandson of Captain Millar, My Grandfather, being Sgt Keenan 2668. All this quite by chance. He invited myself and other pals on that trip to a get together in London. At his place, just off Hyde Park.

Amazing chance meeting. 

Cheers, Gary

WP_20171014_20_49_28_Pro.jpg

IMG-20201026-WA0075.jpg

IMG-20201026-WA0075.jpg

IMG-20201026-WA0075.jpg

oops. Seems you have my Grandfather three times. Sorry.

Big thanks to frev for the help on this some time back. Not forgotten!

Cheers all.

Just to add, last we were at Dernancourt, the locals were still welcoming and very grateful for the Australians that were there for there village in 1918.

• 1 year later...

It's taken me several years to complete the series the Gallant Legion without spending fortunes. The last two came this week. I have most of them without jackets outside of the series. I think only DJC will get them jacketed in my life time!image.jpeg.bb4f6a72920d76f60d91440d029775cf.jpeg

A superb set. I don’t think they came with jackets. I’ve certainly never seen one. Your picture only shows 10 of the 12.

Here’s my set of the originals missing a couple of jackets & the Monash is the U.K. edition.IMG_0809.jpeg.f685cea1d8871d05d437aa19d5474de8.jpeg

They will take some finding. Here is the picture corrected for you.

IMG_20230713_120345_058.jpg

They will take some finding. Here is the picture corrected for you.

IMG_20230713_120345_058.jpg

That’s better. I might pinch that image for the website if I may.