Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Gazetteer

WhiteStarLine

Can you find Third Ridge?  Is Krithia near Alçıtepe or Kırte?  Why is Chocolate Hill called that?  How do you pronounce Plugge's Plateau?  Even if you know the answers, I didn't so we combined 650 place names from the Dardanelles with a search engine that didn't care if you put in Hunter Weston or Beyaz Tepe.  Or just beya.  Then we added a shaded topographic map so you can understand why the W Hills were so named.

image.png.ae62ab65e1806f1a9d6c32c2a676f903.png

Gallipoli Gazetteer

Swap to satellite imagery and look at Tuz Gölü ('Salt Lake').  Hover over an icon on the map and we show one or more names and a description.  Hover over a name in the feature list and we jump to that location on the map.  Or search for all or part of a name.

Advanced users can right click on the map. As well as a shortcut to Search, you can centre the map at the current location, add your own descriptive marker or find the modern General Directorate of Mapping street address.  A known latitude and longitude can be navigated to and finally, if you have an iPad, Android or phone with mobile internet, contact us and we'll provide the same page on a web server that geolocates as you walk or drive around.

image.png.8c8cce8b7b2c319edf0583ba4004dc5a.png

image.png.dc1f8994ec314c8e1e32d83ef8214c43.png

Shortly the entire gazette will be downloadable - feel free to correct errors or contribute locations or descriptions (original material, public domain or Creative Commons).

image.png.f7ddf97daa672da70e06793baec38c2e.png

Acknowledgements

All locations and descriptions sourced from Creative Commons content or original material from georeferenced trench maps.

* General Directorate of Mapping (Harita Genel Müdürlüğü - sourced via geonames).
* Commonwealth War Graves Commission (cemetery names, locations and numbers buried).
* The New Zealand Electronic Text Collection.
* @Howard who painstakingly georeferenced and tiled 70 Gallipoli trench maps then cross referenced 287 points of interest (or 286 because I did 1 of them!).

image.png.0ba7c0d02979fa607c1cc9fc6a524c7d.png

Over 40 years ago Brigadier Loutit related his journey from Adelaide to Scrubby Knoll as a platoon commander on the first day of the landing.  As I flick over famous places on my iPad and zoom in with satellite imagery I recall how vivid his recollections were.

Building this site helped me understand your achievements Noel and hopefully will assist others researching this historic area.

image.png

• 1 month later...

Thats a very cool interactive map, WhiteStarLine.

I'm sure it will come in handy for all Gallipoli enthusiasts doing any sort of research ... of which I am one.

Well done to all involved.

Steve