Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

george pike MM machine gun corps

gingerjase

My great great uncle George Guy Pike MM was in the Machine Gun Corps transferred from the Hants Regt. sn 17997. He was K.I.A 09/04/1917 at Arras but iam having trouble finding out which company (as there were 100's) he was in and where to obtain details of his MM. i have his medals and plaque..i have his commonwealth war graves commission details along with his medal index card niether of which show his company...his m.i.d mentions the MM but i presume this is on another card???

can any one help please???

His CWGC entry shows he was 11th Coy Machine Gun Corps formerly 2nd Battalion Hampshire Regiment. I cannot find his London Gazette entry. Interestingly I see his father won a DCM.

Rgds

Tim

His other medal index card (the MM one) is under the name G. Pike. It is on-line, just put in machine gun corps under "corps" and then his service number 17997 under"other key words" and this card will show up. This will have on it the gazette date.

Steve

His gazette date is 1st September 1916. When you search the on-line London Gazette site just put his intitial then a fullstop a space and then his surname. It is down as G. Pike and not G. G. Pike.

Cheers

Steve

Many of the awards in this gazette were for 1st July 1916. The 11th Coy MGC sent men over in the attack on Redan Ridge near Beaumont Hamel on that day. On 9th April 1917 the Company was in action near Fampoux, on the Arras front. The Company was part of the 4th Division. A few more details of them here:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/regular_divisions_pt1.htm