Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: British Honduras Territorial Force

Date of Death: 12/03/1918

Service No: 2072

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: FORT GEORGE MEMORIAL

& the memorial info

Location Information: The Memorial is located in the Fort George Memorial Park, which is just off Marine Parade. It is situated 10 metres behind the marble obelisk which is the National Cenotaph. The Memorial is in the form of a Tablet which commemorates the officers and men who served with the British Honduras Territorial Force, who still lie buried in the following 5 cemeteries which have become impossible to maintain. Belize (City) Cemetery formerly (Lord Ridge) Corozal Cemetery El Cayo Cemetery Orange Walk Cemetery Stann Creek Cemetery

No. of Identified Casualties: 40

To my shame I've never heard of the British Honduras Territorial Force..............Does anyone know anything about them?

& the memorial info

Thanks for that. Knowing of the 'Fort George Memorial' has solved a puzzle for me.

The, in places, faded Southport War Memorial lists a Lieutenant Colonel W J Black of the British Honduras. I was not able to find this local man on the CWGC Register. Now that I know of the 'Fort George Memorial' I was able to find 'my' man Lieutenant Colonel W J Slack!

Southport War Memorial has seperate sections for "Colonials" - Australia (7), British Honduras (1), Canada (41), Indian Officers (2), New Zealand (3), South Africa (1).

How commonly was this done?