Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Air warfare in Balkans and Solonica

AlanB

I found a 1964 newspaper article about an airman from what is now Czechoslovakia who had traced a Greek lady in England to thank her for getting him false papers which enabled him to avoid possible execution by the Germans in WW1.

I think the event may have occurred around Monastir in Macedonia, Does anyone have any information on the air war in the area and how he may have come to be at risk.

At first glance, the story seems rather strange, as during the Great War both the Czech Republic and Slovakia were parts of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and therefore allies of the Germans.  I may well be wrong, but the incident sounds more likely to have occurred during the 1939-1945 War.

Gareth

I agree that it sounds more like WW2 but the lady was in England during WW2 and the article said it was 47 years since they had last seen each other I.e. circa 1917

2 hours ago, AlanB said:

I found a 1964 newspaper article about an airman from what is now Czechoslovakia who had traced a Greek lady in England to thank her for getting him false papers which enabled him to avoid possible execution by the Germans in WW1.

I think the event may have occurred around Monastir in Macedonia, Does anyone have any information on the air war in the area and how he may have come to be at risk.

Hi

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't MONASTIR behind 'allied' lines during WW1?

Mike

From the research I have done it would appear Monastir was heavily damaged by the Central Powers particularly the Bulgarians and was at least on the Balkan front line. Apparently the lady’s father was a high ranking politician but was killed when he fell out of favour.