Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification - Scottish Fusiliers?

DJ222

Hi everyone,

I found this unnamed photograph in an antique store and wondered if anyone could help give me a date range or any information on the soldier’s uniform. The back is marked with Gales Studios and a pencilled caption reads: “Taken in Glasgow (Scots we hae)”

Thanks.

DA52CB2E-F04D-4FBB-BB59-047470292783.jpeg

Royal Scots Fusiliers.  The key identifying feature in this case is the universal grenade worn as a collar badge.  As for date I think some time between 1916 and 1917 as he’s wearing the so-called Tam-o-Shanter style of drab khaki bonnet and the narrow version of the web waistbelt that were most commonly seen mid-war onward.

C2153DD5-80AA-47D3-BE2F-A4062FB52A1F.jpeg

EDC04912-1077-4705-A348-04C4C7952EFB.jpeg

DBECD9BC-CA1B-4EA6-90DD-6082158B47CE.jpeg

D8358834-5AA0-4B7E-9770-D10C107E82DD.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Royal Scots Fusiliers.  

FROGSMILE,     In your photo of the three RSF men, please look carefully at the seated, non-pipe smoking gentleman.  Is he black or just sunburnt and made dark in the extreme by the film ???   🤔

6 minutes ago, bif said:

FROGSMILE,     In your photo of the three RSF men, please look carefully at the seated, non-pipe smoking gentleman.  Is he black or just sunburnt and made dark in the extreme by the film ???   🤔

He is a black Scottish soldier Bif whose life story (as far as is known) was recently covered in the forum.  He served with both, KOSB and RSF, the latter overseas.

Are we talking about Arthur Roberts ?

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

between 1916 and 1917 as he’s wearing the so-called Tam-o-Shanter style of drab khaki bonnet and the narrow version of the web waistbelt that were most commonly seen mid-war onward.

Thanks so much!

4 hours ago, bif said:

Are we talking about Arthur Roberts ?

Indeed we are bif.

14 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Royal Scots Fusiliers.  The key identifying feature in this case is the universal grenade worn as a collar badge.  As for date I think some time between 1916 and 1917 as he’s wearing the so-called Tam-o-Shanter style of drab khaki bonnet and the narrow version of the web waistbelt that were most commonly seen mid-war onward.

C2153DD5-80AA-47D3-BE2F-A4062FB52A1F.jpeg

EDC04912-1077-4705-A348-04C4C7952EFB.jpeg

DBECD9BC-CA1B-4EA6-90DD-6082158B47CE.jpeg

D8358834-5AA0-4B7E-9770-D10C107E82DD.jpeg

Frogsmile,

Mainly out of interest.....do you know when the collar badges started to worn by the non regular battalions of the RSF?  I have seen other photos of them being worn mid to late WW1 by RSF soldiers.  Was this earlier than other regiments (of the British Army) or pretty much about the same time?  Thanks/Ron 

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Indeed we are bif.

SWMBO and young bif both thought I was nuts at first?  Then they found several articles about Arthur Roberts BEM MSM and his "newly" found diary.  Quite an interesting "side" subject !  :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

Frogsmile,

Mainly out of interest.....do you know when the collar badges started to worn by the non regular battalions of the RSF?  I have seen other photos of them being worn mid to late WW1 by RSF soldiers.  Was this earlier than other regiments (of the British Army) or pretty much about the same time?  Thanks/Ron 

During WW1 it wasn’t regulation to wear collar badges with SD in the Army, but along with cavalry, and frequently ASC units, quite a number of war raised and some TF battalions chose to do so for a variety of reasons.  Nevertheless, it was inconsistent across the Army as a whole.  There is a lengthy thread about this in the forum somewhere and an attempt was made to list the regiments that had at least some units known to have followed that practice.  I cannot recall where the RSF fitted in with that list, Ron.  
The use of the universal grenade was unusual in that it was used for so many other purposes simultaneously, including for Grenadier and Fusilier shoulder titles, RE and RA arm/collar badges and even for Bombing and Trench mortar proficiency (in lieu of cloth badge).  It finally ceased use as a badge on the clothing inventory in 2006.  As regards the general approval for routine adoption of collar badges, that took place post-war around 1922-24, as the SD ensemble was revised with a new specification cap and recut jacket intended to bring greater smartness to post war uniform.  At the same time sergeants began to wear their scarlet dashes with SD.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, bif said:

SWMBO and young bif both thought I was nuts at first?  Then they found several articles about Arthur Roberts BEM MSM and his "newly" found diary.  Quite an interesting "side" subject !  :thumbsup:

Yes, I agree that it was quite a fascinating story bif.