Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Francis McInally

roughdiamond

Afternoon folks

My workmate was talking about his Grandfather who served in WW1, the Francis McInally in the title, however he doesn't have anything relating to his service and there's nothing in the family, I told him there were 6 with MIC's, all of whom seem to have survived, I had a look at Service records on Ancestry and there seems to be one, but when I try to narrow it down with the Service numbers of all 6 men with MIC's there's no match.

Could some kind soul check which Francis McInally has a service record please and if he is from Ayrshire? If he's a possible I can get Tam to take out a membership.

Regards

Sam

Edited by roughdiamond

I may be using the wrong search criteria on FindMyPast, but I was only turning up Great War era army service records for a Thomas David McInally, enlisted in the 6th Battalion Highland Light Infantry September 1914, living at Whiteinch, discharged to an address in Glasgow. There are then two pre-war records - one a Regular Soldier discharged from the Army in 1902 aged 18, and the other a Militia enlistment of a Glasgow man in 1898.

Others may find more - if not I'd suggest go back to basics and ask your workmate for some family details, ideally :-

- where and when born, (if not known then where and when died, so that birth year can be estimated)
- parents
- areas associated with
- when, where and who they married
 - any children likely to have been born when they were serving

plus the sourced of the belief that they served in the Great War - family legend, assumed because of age, or something else.

Doesn't have to be all of them or mega precise, but getting someone fixed in their timeline and locality can usually be a big help in then uncovering any associated military records.

As to subscribing, most UK public libray services usually subscribe to Ancestry or FindMypast, and sometimes both. Normally you have to be onsite and using one of their computers to get access. But during the pandemic some of the library services have been able to negotiate with those companies to allow access from home. Even with restrictions easing, the need for spacing and cleaning computers after use means that with my local library service this may continue for the foreseeable future. Wouldn't surprise me if that isn't the case in most places. So may be worth your workmate checking out whats on offer on your local library service website.

Hope that helps,
Peter

Hi Peter

That's not him thanks, just ruling out the obvious before I take him into BMD's and absent voter rolls.

Sam

4 hours ago, roughdiamond said:

Could some kind soul check which Thomas McInally has a service record please

Thomas or Francis?

A couple of thoughts:

There's a pension card for a Francis/Frank McInally 961990 of the RFA,  addresss 288 Mathieson St, South Glasgow. MIC shows previously ASC T/2030.

Born 1896, discharged 22/4/19.  Driver 68th RFA.

There's an old Militia Attestation for a Francis McInally, attested 1892, deserted 1894 ,RSFusiliers. Born in Ayr and aged 22yr1mo at time of attesting 29/5/1892 (ie born 1870)

As Peter says, some background basics would be useful.

Charlie

Well spotted Charle, he was Francis, my workmate is Thomas and I've changed the OP.

The 6 x MIC's will be the same as those on Ancestry, THE RFA man was previously T/2030 in the ASC and is sadly definitely not him, thanks for the info, if that is the only Service record as it looks like (the other man is a generation too old) then that route is dead in the water.

As I said to Peter, I'm going to take him down the BMD and Absent voter route, if I get his number from any of those I can then go to Medal Rolls for Bn's and expand from there, but I wanted to discount the Service record first.

Thanks

Sam

17954 Francis McInally of the RSFus has a wounding in the DailyCasList of 26/10/17 giving Hometown/place of enlistment as Ayr

Edit- same man was also wounded 1916 and has a Hospital Admission Aug 1917 for Trench fever. Ended up Labour Corps 444323

Edit Edit- Pension card gives his address 28 King St,   Ayr

Note variations of spelling- Mc Inally, McInnally etc

Edited by charlie962

On 21/10/2021 at 22:44, charlie962 said:

17954 Francis McInally of the RSFus has a wounding in the DailyCasList of 26/10/17 giving Hometown/place of enlistment as Ayr

Edit- same man was also wounded 1916 and has a Hospital Admission Aug 1917 for Trench fever. Ended up Labour Corps 444323

Fantastic Charlie

Been on my long weekend from work and was away at the Great War Group Conference in Maidenhead so apologies for my tardy reply.

I'll see Thomas tomorrow night when we change duty and I'll pass on the info to see if its him.

Thank you

Sam

Hi Charlie

I've confirmed this is Thomas' Grandad from the address so from him a heartfelt thank you.

Did the info come from the British Newspaper Archive?

Thanks

Sam

2 hours ago, roughdiamond said:

Did the info come from the British Newspaper Archive?

Sam,

Grzat. My thought process was as quoted above:

SOURCE -various possibilities - BNA, FMP Newspapers, Genealogist

SOURCE- FindmyPast Soldiers Medical Records, probably also on Forces War Records.

SOURCE - WesternFrontAssociation/Fold3 Pension Ledgers.

If you need a link , let me know.

Charlie

12 hours ago, roughdiamond said:

The links would be superb

Links now added to my previous post. You can of course, access Pension cards via WFA rather than Ancestry- Support WFA!!