Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vorpostenboot "Emma Oetken"

stevenbecker

Mates,

I wonder if you know this boat?

I can't seam to find it, I have a man lost on her possibly in the North Sea 21 April 1918

Possibly I made a Mistake and was looking at the Emma Detken?

The man was possibly Christian Krentz

I did think he maybe the man mentioned as Krentz on the Emden, of those crew who made it home in 1915

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Christian was one of the 16 men lost when the outpost boat Emma Oetken was mined in barrier 44 on 21 April 1918 whilst returning from the salvage of a seaplane. Brief details given in Krieg in der Nordsee V.7. Listed under the extract from Verlustliste above.

Mates,

Thank you I must have miss read the old German with D or O

Charlie,

I don't think he is Grentz

The Krentz is shown as a Torpedo Maat not Matrose

While it possible, as this bloke showed up

Kliemt (Glimpt) Karl Kreigfreiwilliger Heizer SMS Emden to prize ship SS Exford     1914-15    (born not stated) PoW when ship taken by Merchant Cruiser "Empress of Japan" off Padang Sumatra Kriegsgefangen in Gefangenschaft (PoW in prison)

As German names seam to get mixed up in books (Kleimt) or the Geheime Marine as Glimpt

Not the first time I've seen this happen.

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Not identical. Not only rank but also place of birth differ. Lengersdorf is near Düren (today) Northrhine-Westfalia, The other is from Stangenmühle near Scharbeutz, Schleswig-Holstein.

The Emma Oetken of 215 BRT was a trawler built in Lehe (today part of Bremerhaven) for Erdmann Lefke in Geestemünde (today Bremerhaven) in 1914 (I think).

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

2 hours ago, GreyC said:

Not identical. Not only rank but also place of birth differ.

Hi GreyC, I am aware of the differences but I am not suggesting they are one and the same person. Krentz is recorded in the VL only once and not in connection with the Emden. As Steve‘s source seems to have many mistakes, I was wondering if Grentz had been mistranscribed as Krentz falsely giving rise to the possibility that he (Krentz)had previously served on the Emden.

Charlie