Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Douglas Stewart R.F.C., P.o.W. September 1916?

wwrsimon

Hello everyone

I've come a cross an article in the Morpeth Herald of September 16th 1916 reporting that Lt. Douglas Stuart [sic] R.F.C. was possibly a Prisoner of War. He had been reported missing, believed killed, the previous week.

The article mentions a letter from Major Lawrence, R.F.C., which records that Stuart [sic] was in the lead machine of three which went over the German lines, and that the other two aircraft lost sight of his machine in the fighting. It mentions that Stuart's pilot was "Capt. Galmond" and that their mahine was last seen "gliding properly under control" and it was presumed they had come down behind enemy lines and were hopefully prisoners.

I'm struggling to find any record of Stuart*, or indeed "Capt. Galmond." Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Simon

*EDIT - I've amended the title to the correct spelling of Stewart.

Edited by wwrsimon
Morpeth Herald, not Gazette. Amended title

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. I'd tried Calmond and Almond, just not Salmond...! :)

Captain Hubert George Salmond of 70 Squadron, missing September 2nd 1916 with Lt. Donald Stewart (not Stuart?], both P.o.W.

Regards

Simon

I've had another look at the newspaper archives, and now I have the correct spelling of his surname, the Morpeth Herald mentions Capt Douglas Stewart R.A.F. [not Stuart] in a number of articles:

On November 29th 1918 he's mentioned in a review of 'My German Prisons' by Capt. H. G. Gilliland, in which it records that Gilliland, Stewart and others escaped from a train and made their way to safety in Holland. It also mentions that Stewart married a Morpeth girl when he returned, and Gilliland was his best man at the wedding.

The wedding had been reported in the Morpeth Herald on May 4th 1917.

On August 1st 1919 it reported the presentation of the Air Force Cross to Stewart by the King at Buckingham Palace. (as posted above - beat me to it!).

Regards

Simon

Edited by wwrsimon
typo

From my series of posts on another forum:

2 September 1916: Capt Hubert George Salmond (Pow) & Lieut Douglas Stewart (Pow), 70 Sqn, 1½ Strutter A888 - took off 19:00/20:00 and last seen low down near Bourlon surrounded by HA [Hostile Aircraft] on offensive patrol Bapaume - Épehy – Cambrai.  There is no matching German claim so it would seem that the Strutter's engine was damaged and the machine was forced to land out of sight of the attackers. 

Graeme

Thanks for the aircraft and serial number Graeme, much appreciated. That fits in exactly with the newspaper report I mentioned in my first post.

Stewart was also awarded the M.C. for 'gallantry in escaping from captivity whilst Prisoner of War' gazetted on December 16th 1919 and this award was reported in the Morpeth Herald in January 1920. The article mentions that he had been awarded the A.F.C. in 'recognition of his work in training pilots for overseas.'

I see there's a Douglas Stewart, b. Nov. 25th 1887 on the 1939 Register staying at a hotel in Swanage, and recorded as 'Wing Commander R.A.F. (Retd)'. I wondered if this could this be the same chap, maybe...?

Regards

Simon

Another little snippet I came across, from the Surrey Mirror, August 14th 1931. I'm presuming it's probably 'my' Douglas Stewart with his M.C. and A.F.C. and likely the one mentioned on the 1939 Register above.

KENLEY

RAF COMMAND - Wing Commander Douglas Stewart, M.C., A.F.C., has been appointed  to the command of the Kenley Station of the R.A.F., in succession to Wing-Commander F. L. Robinson, D.S.O, M.C., D.F.C. Wing Commander Stewart has been at No.23 Group Headquarters, Grantham, for two and a half years. He served with the R.A.F. in the Great War, and from 1920 to 1923 was in Egypt.

I think he was also awarded the M.B.E. in 1943 whilst an Observer Commander at Yeovil in the R.O.C.

Simon

• wwrsimon changed the title to Lt. Douglas Stewart R.F.C., P.o.W. September 1916?