Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Hospital ??

MERLINV12

I am hoping someone can suggest what the strange letter/numeral is in "24 ? G H" in the image below, unfortunately it is the only example of this handwriting on the SR, so cannot work it out from other text.

Don't think its "249 General Hospital",  sure it's not a B (British), or I (Indian), and have no idea what "W3034" refers to.

Ideally looking for Admission & Discharge Registers for whichever hospital it is.

Have searched for hospitals in Aziziyah,  checked LLT, NA, Google, all find nothing, unless my senility is further advanced than I thought :D.

TIA.

hosp.jpg.9618427cf27f90c7a2fe7d3393b86b9f.jpg

Edited by MERLINV12

Medical Services Vol. 4 has several mentions of Aziziya and 19 Casualty Clearing Hospital.

A list of Medical units for April 1917 shows #7 Field Ambulance based there.

Following on from Alf's comment, 24 Indian GH is also on the list and based in Basra.

TEW

It is a strange 'I' but can't see much else that would fit given the theatre of war.

It's also odd that 24 IGH are making the entry on the B.103 when he must have become a 'casualty' (abcess) in Aziziya when admitted to either the FA or the CCH. The term Casualty Clearing Hospital seems to have endured longer before becoming a 'Station' than in other theatres. Nothing on a preceding sheet for 19 CCH/CCS I take it?

Could be down to the instructions issued for reporting casualties but it's not the same as in France/Flanders.

I've quoted the below from the forum.

Army Form W 3034 Daily Roll of Admissions, Discharges etc (Base Hospitals)

Which implies it is a base hospital not the CCH at Aziziya.

TEW

15 hours ago, TEW said:

Nothing on a preceding sheet for 19 CCH/CCS I take it?

No, was in 40 BGH prior to Aziziyah.

Am I likely to find the A&D Register for 24 IGH or 40 BGH ??

hosp2.jpg.ad9c67fb827bbb2d27b95ec5a4d6750e.jpg

Edited by MERLINV12

There are no A&D books for either I'm afraid.

Looks like he did about 3 weeks in the field between the two hospital stints.

There will be diaries for the hospitals and 19 Combined Casualty Clearing Section. None online though.

Edit: they are online/download via TNA.

Medical background for the theatre is in Vol. 4, link in the post below. Online reader or pdf download, both searchable.

TEW

Edited by TEW

20 hours ago, TEW said:

There are no A&D books for either I'm afraid.

Looks like he did about 3 weeks in the field between the two hospital stints.

There will be diaries for the hospitals and 19 Combined Casualty Clearing Section. None online though.

Medical background for the theatre is in Vol. 4, link in the post below. Online reader or pdf download, both searchable.

TEW

The war diaries for 19 Combined Casualty Clearing Section can be downloaded;- https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/2?_q=wo 95%2F 19 COMBINED casualty clearing&_col=200&_hb=tna

Regards,

Alf McM

Another school day! Assumed they weren't digitised.

Will edit previous post.

Thanks

TEW

THANKS, Alf & Tim,

However, you have me puzzled (not hard to do lately) where has 19 Combined Casualty Clearing Section, come from, Not on his SR, and I didn't mention it ??

Michael.

It comes from the Medical Services Vol. 4. This mentions 19 CCCS being in Aziziyah.

I still think this is where he must have become a casualty due to the abscess.

On face value from the B103 form one would think 24 IGH was in Aziziyah when it was in Basra.

Normally (in France) you'd have:

Admitted to a FA, Admitted to CCS, Admitted to Base Hospital, his B103 seems to skip a few steps.

TEW

Thanks for the explanation :thumbsup: Didn't realise 24 IGH was not in Aziziyah. My knowledge of this theatre of war and medical things is lacking, as you will have noticed.