Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R D Edgar 17th Bttn Royal Scots

Strachan

Dear all, 

I wonder if anyone could give further information about Robert Dickson Edgar, 17th Royal Scots.
I am interested in the reference to 'Emblems' on his medal card. 

Any information gladly accepted. Also desperately hunting for a decent picture. I have found two so far neither of any great quality.

I am not related to the man; he died young with no children in 1926. 

I look forward to your replies. 

Kind Regards, 

Strachan

R D Edgar.JPG

• Admin

Emblems  means he was mentioned in Despatches as confirmed in his obituary in the Aberdeen Press and Journal dated 15 January 1926 where there is a photograph apparently in uniform which presumably is one of those you refer to.  His marriage was recorded in the Scotsman prior to his departure for France.

Hints on researching an MID on LLT

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/research-mention-despatches/?COLLCC=655543258

Service record at TNA

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1058091

Appointed Staff Captain in 1917

7 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Emblems  means he was mentioned in Despatches as confirmed in his obituary in the Aberdeen Press and Journal dated 15 January 1926 where there is a photograph apparently in uniform which presumably is one of those you refer to.  His marriage was recorded in the Scotsman prior to his departure for France.

Hints on researching an MID on LLT

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/research-mention-despatches/?COLLCC=655543258

Thanks Ken.

Are Mentions in Dispatches searchable and do they tell why the recipient was given mention?

Yes, I have that image as used on his obituary.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Strachan said:

Are Mentions in Dispatches searchable and do they tell why the recipient was given mention?

They are searchable in the London Gazette, as described in the link above but it is the most appalling search facility on the web. No doubt someone who understands how the infernal system works will be along soon.

I can find his promotions etc but not the mention.

They do not say what the mention was for, as he was a staff captain and later adjutant and QM it will be in the preamble to the despatch something like 'devotion to duty and outstanding work deserving of mention'.

There are usually half a dozen or so supplements posted a month or two after the relevant Despatch, all the online Despatches are on the LLT.

From the University Memorial Rolls on FMP

Moffat Academy. M.A. 1910. Schoolmaster. George Heriot's School OTC, Lieutenant May 1914. 17th Royal Scots, Captain April 1915; Adjutant and Q.M. France.

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

I suspect you have already seen this photo in his obit, courtesy FindmyPast Newspapers:

Can the school help ?

Charlie

Hi Charlie, 

Yes, I have seen that image in the obituary. It would be great to find the original image as it looks like it would be a decent portrait.

I found this other image of him online as part of an officer's group. He is in the centre. 

The school has nothing on him, sadly. The reason I am interested is that I am the current Captain of his BB Company (98 years after he formed it) and was looking to do something about him for a Remembrance theme this year. We actually meet at the school in the village which is successor to his building which is located across the road from his old house. 

He was involved in just about everything which makes the lack of an image a bit frustrating! 

Kind Regards, 

Strachan

imageedit_2_8828925848.jpg

• Admin
1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

His commission in The London Gazette

But have you found the Mention?

9 hours ago, Strachan said:

The reason I am interested is that I am the current Captain of his BB Company (98 years after he formed it) and was looking to do something about him for a Remembrance theme this year.

Given the reason now given for the interest it might be productive to download the war diary of the 17th Royal Scots from TNA and plough through it to see if the Mention is recorded which would at least narrow the dates for the Gazette.  Unfortunately some of these Mentions were for example in "Final Despatches" so not recorded in the Diary.  It is a long shot but the diaries are currently free at TNA (see banner at top of page) if you register.

Alternatively, although very short notice, you may be able to find a researcher who is able to copy his record for you (far less expensive than TNA) again no guarantee as the records have been weeded but you never know. 

Good luck!

Another alternative, but time consuming. would be to 'browse' the relevant Supplements to the Gazette for Infantry Officers to see if you can find him. Obviously you would only need to look at those published after 1916 (and I would start at the last one).  There is a list somewhere but for the (senior) moment I can't recall where of all the Supplements associated with each Despatch.

14 hours ago, kenf48 said:

But have you found the Mention?

Given the reason now given for the interest it might be productive to download the war diary of the 17th Royal Scots from TNA and plough through it to see if the Mention is recorded which would at least narrow the dates for the Gazette.  Unfortunately some of these Mentions were for example in "Final Despatches" so not recorded in the Diary.  It is a long shot but the diaries are currently free at TNA (see banner at top of page) if you register.

Alternatively, although very short notice, you may be able to find a researcher who is able to copy his record for you (far less expensive than TNA) again no guarantee as the records have been weeded but you never know. 

Good luck!

Another alternative, but time consuming. would be to 'browse' the relevant Supplements to the Gazette for Infantry Officers to see if you can find him. Obviously you would only need to look at those published after 1916 (and I would start at the last one).  There is a list somewhere but for the (senior) moment I can't recall where of all the Supplements associated with each Despatch.

Thanks Ken, 

Took your advice and downloaded the war diary. Haven't found him yet but I'll keep looking!

Kind Regards, 

Strachan