Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal John Blanchard Durham Light Infantry

David_Blanchard

My father said his dad, John George Blanchard (could also be Blanshard) served in the First World War- he was born in 1900. ( his brother’s mic is recorded as Thomas William Blanshard) 

I can find no records of this. He was living near Darlington, so his local regiment would be the Durham Light Infantry. 

In Major Veitch’s history of the 8th Battalion of the The Durham Light Infantry there is a photograph of Prisoners of War Interned at The Hague Holland. In the front row there is a Corporal J Blanchard. I can find no military records for a J Blanchard or Blanshard in the Durham Light Infantry. 

Any help appreciated.

David 

B26238C2-78D3-4FCF-AE00-0DEF0DB7C891.jpeg

Checked the Medal Rolls for Sgt J Creber (2nd Row) service no 10438 POW 1/3/1915. There is a G T Blanchard in the Rolls  no 11343 also a POW. The date Creber was captured would mean your man was  15 ish depending on month of birth.

David

I searched FMP using Blanchard - First WW - keyword Durham.

It came up with a POW record for George Blanchard born Bedale lived in Newcastle Unit shown as 2 Durham (no number) Corporal captured in Lille and

11343 George Frederick Blanchard - Cpl 2 Durham captured 20/10/1914 Lille not wounded born in Bedale lived in Newcastle Father George Blanchard 240 Bolan St Newcastle.

The WD of 2 DLI (WO 95 1617/1) records 4 k 46 w and 177 missing on 20/10/1914. The WD of 18 Infantry Bde (1614/1) has no further info and the October WD of 6 Div HQ GS seems to be missing.

Brian

EDIT

The same check brought up one J Blanchard. A POW Repatriation doc, not in the records of the ICRC but a random doc in the Service Record of Edward Greenfell DLI (himself a POW 23/07/1918) Courtesy TNA WO 363 and Ancestry Filmstrip ref Gre 122739. 

jblanchard.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

Thanks again for your help Brian- still a mystery why there are no records for J or John Blanchard. I suspect this isn’t my grandfather in the photograph- these men seem to be regulars and as he was born in 1900, it’s unlikely to be him.

David 

Do you have actual birthdates for the two brothers?

George

What service number do you have for Thomas William please?

George

Thomas William Blanshard- known as Bill to the family born 1894. Served in Gallipoli with 6 East Yorks where he was wounded. Have other records pension silver war badge etc

4C9FF9BD-F6A2-44C9-9976-DCB74169DA74.jpeg

2F2602A4-69DC-4356-9E54-D0098BB493CF.jpeg

Edited by David_Blanchard

Harry Blanshard birth details here- pretty sure he served but cannot find any details.

96169F80-F921-4AFB-9700-AE134F874232.jpeg

17 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

Is G T Blanchard in the DLI?

David 

Looking at the MIC`s (2) and the 14 Star and BWM & Victory rolls he is listed as G.T Blanchard and George Frederick Blanchard and 2nd DLI

David,may be of interest.T W Blanchard is on the roll of those who served and were employees of Pease and partners coal owners up here in South Durham

he was emlpoyed at Eldon(colliery) near Bishop Auckland.There was a CSM T Blanchard 15th DLI KIA 1918 could be part of the wider family as well as an

A Blanchard on the memorial in Shildon also in the same area

Steve,

Thanks for this- T W Blanchard is my great uncle- he was from Eldon Lane. Where can I access the Pease and Partners roll?

David 

2 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

Steve,

Thanks for this- T W Blanchard is my great uncle- he was from Eldon Lane. Where can I access the Pease and Partners roll?

David 

Hi David,I contribute to the following site which you might be aware of ,type in by surname or village.I searched surname for your Gt uncle because company

rolls and those who served are covered it help's finding those not killed or died in various conflicts from the north east.

http://www.newmp.org.uk/

David I noticed your mams cousin F Soulsby KIA in Sicily another superb site which many including myself have posted lost family on this section

should interest you.

https://durhamlightinfantry1920-46.weebly.com/sicily-1943.html

all the best Steve.

I have another relative killed in the war Herbert Sydney Blanshard. (2 cousin x2 removed)  Born Acomb, near York. His parents were living in Gateshead in 1911. I cannot find him on either 1901 or 1911 Census- certainly not living with his parents. In fact as far as I can see the only connection with them is on the CWGC.

As far as Thomas William Blanshard from Eldon Lane is concerned he does not appear on the Eldon Lane Club commemorative book which I gave.

Thanks for the help.

David 

* just found him- living with his Mother’s parents near York* 

no thanks to Ancestry translating! 

64FED17D-D6B0-4F4E-9982-775B6FBC7F23.jpeg

75B40714-B439-40B2-B9AE-8CB919A907CE.jpeg

707C67CD-BB6B-48B2-9B6C-BA360854BC13.jpeg

Herbert William Blanshard married Jane Annie Bulmer in the York registration district during the June quarter of 1896. The General Register Office shows  that Herbert Sydney Blanshard's birth was registered in the Great Ouseburn Registration District during the March quarter of 1897. Acomb falls within this registration district. I have found him in both the 1901 and 1911 census returns staying with his maternal grandmother (Mary Bulmer) in Acomb. Please see images below. (images courtesy of Find My Past)

Blanshard 1901 census.jpg

Blanshard 1911 census.jpg

Thanks just done the same- great minds etc- should have used FMP.

Interestingly John Stanley Bellerby - enlisted in West Yorkshire regiment probably on the same day as Herbert S, entered theatre France- 15 April 1915. Photograph of John Bellerby on Ancestry- I think he and Herbert S were cousins.

David 

ACA18E87-0748-490D-A5E7-41DDF2185D3D.jpeg

Amazing how on piece of info leads to another David,have you seen this?

http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?categoryid=99&articleid=1272&displayorder=8

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6514

Herbert Sydney is remembered in the roll of honour for Gateshead surname spelled Blanshard.

Edited by stevej60

Hi Steve,

Yes I have seen that. But thanks for the link. Lynne Irving was my cousin. She sent me the only photograph I have of Ned Burridge. To cut a long story short, my birth grandfather was Ned Burridge- and the Blanchard or Blanshard line were my adopted family.

David