Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

scarpe 26 - 30 august 1918

glasgow

hello

Anyone have information about this battle and particularly the role or objective of the 52nd Division containing the 1/7 HLI.

I understand they may have been at Henin. Some are buried at Croisilles.

Can anyone help please/

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
hello

Anyone have information about this battle and particularly the role or objective of the 52nd Division containing the 1/7 HLI.

I understand they may have been at Henin. Some are buried at Croisilles.

Can anyone help please/

Thanks

The 52nd Division formed the northern flank of the 3rd Army. On their left was the 2nd Canadian Division, who formed the southern flank of the 1st Army.

I cannot offer too much information, but there is quite a detailed account of the Canadian side attached to the Diary of the 2nd Canadian Division General Staff, which we can peruse here .

The wires recieved from the 52nd Division are repeated as they were recieved. It seems the 155th Brigade was on the flank. I suppose one could extrapolate the positions of the right brigade from the positions that are listed.

Perhaps this will be of some use :-) .

A,

This is from the History of the 8th Royal Scots Pioneers to the 51st Highland Division.

"SCARPE VALLEY

On 17th August 1918,the Battalion once more returned to occupy part of the line in front of Roclincourt,but this time the work was in preparation for an advance,and so,on the successful attack on "Greenland Hill" by the Division,on the 26th,the Battalion again found itself in Fampoux and the Chemical Works at Rouex.During the operations half the Battalion reconstructed the main road through Fampoux,and the other constructed "strong" points on "Greenland Hill".The attack between Arras and Bapaume pivoted on the Division so the Battalion remained in this neighbourhood until 13th September."

George