Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Period in the Reserves

Ian C

Hi

I am trying to help a colleague find more information on his Gt. Uncle., Michael Butler who served with the 5th Buffs during the war.

He was born C1886 in Ireland and probably arrived in England around the turn of the century.

We have (we believe) found him in the 1911 Census working as a gardener in St Pauls Warden, Herts and when he joined up on 13/08/1914 he was working as a gardener for Lady Northcote in Ashford. On his papers he stated that he had previously served 4 years with the 5th Buffs.

My query is, if he served 4 years with the Buffs between 1900 (given that he was only about 14 at that time) and 1911, how long would he have been in the reserves? He doesn't appear to have been recalled from the reserves in 1914 but to have volunteered.

Regards

IanC

Hello Ian,

Military service was either (1) enlistment in the army under Regular terms of service, or (2) enlistment in one of the two reserve branches.

Concerning the two reserve branches:
If you enlisted in the Militia, it is my understanding you signed up for six years. The Militia was renamed as the Special Reserve in 1908.

If you enlisted in the Volunteer Force, it is my understanding you signed up for four years. Thereafter, you could extend for a further four year period until you were too old. They were renamed as the Territorial Force in 1908. In most county regiments, these men were in the 4th and 5th Battalion.

As ever, the go-to resource is longlongtrail
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/

Buffs and their battalions
https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/buffs-east-kent-regiment/

Given the mention of 4 years and a 5th Battalion, he sounds like a TF man to me.

Cheers
Keith

• Admin

Ashford was the HQ of the 5th (Weald of Kent) Battalion East Kent Regiment ‘The Buffs’ at least three Companies were also based there.

As Keith said four years in the TF, in which he could enlist from age seventeen.