Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did (or indeed Could?) the UK conscript British men serving with the French Red Cross?

rolt968

Did (or indeed Could?) the UK conscript British men serving with the French Red Cross?

My reason for asking. A very very distant relative served as a driver with the French Red Cross. I don't know if he was actually living in France or the UK when he joined. In 1915-1916 he was under age. (Strictly speaking he wasn't a relative. His birth was a major contributory factor to the divorce of my relative from his mother; if you see what I mean.)

RM

• Admin

2 hours ago, rolt968 said:

I don't know if he was actually living in France or the UK when he joined

It is quite important - the first  Military Service Act was quite explicit:-

"Every British male subject who

– on 15 August 1915 was ordinarily resident in Great Britain and who had attained the age of 18*  but was not yet 41 by 2 March 1916  and
– on 2 November 1915 was unmarried or a widower without dependent children".

Although the net was widened quite quickly with subsequent Acts throughout the war the residential qualification was not changed. My interpretation would be that if he returned to the UK as a 'resident' he would come within the scope of the Act but could have sought exemption from the Local Tribunal on non-residential grounds.

The MSA 1916 followed on from National Registration Act 1915 where both men and women aged between 15 and 65 were required to register at their residential address on 15 August 1915, if he was living in France then he would not be 'counted', or registered.

The simple answer would appear to be if he was resident in France then no he could not be conscripted by the British.  It would probably be safe to assume he was a Red Cross volunteer and therefore unlikely to be called up.  Reading between the lines the Army representative on the Local Tribunal had enough problems chasing men who did fit the criteria and were unwilling to serve than to chase men already in France.  Research into the work of the Tribunals suggests the default position was to appeal though young singlemen had little hope of being successful.

14 hours ago, kenf48 said:

It is quite important - the first  Military Service Act was quite explicit:-

"Every British male subject who

– on 15 August 1915 was ordinarily resident in Great Britain and who had attained the age of 18*  but was not yet 41 by 2 March 1916  and
– on 2 November 1915 was unmarried or a widower without dependent children".

Although the net was widened quite quickly with subsequent Acts throughout the war the residential qualification was not changed. My interpretation would be that if he returned to the UK as a 'resident' he would come within the scope of the Act but could have sought exemption from the Local Tribunal on non-residential grounds.

The MSA 1916 followed on from National Registration Act 1915 where both men and women aged between 15 and 65 were required to register at their residential address on 15 August 1915, if he was living in France then he would not be 'counted', or registered.

The simple answer would appear to be if he was resident in France then no he could not be conscripted by the British.  It would probably be safe to assume he was a Red Cross volunteer and therefore unlikely to be called up.  Reading between the lines the Army representative on the Local Tribunal had enough problems chasing men who did fit the criteria and were unwilling to serve than to chase men already in France.  Research into the work of the Tribunals suggests the default position was to appeal though young singlemen had little hope of being successful.

Many thanks.

I suspect that he was living in France in 1914. I didn't manage to trace the movements of him or his mother immediately after the divorce. I think she took him to France, although she died, quite young in England - having not married the co-respondent. I must look for my notes. I don't think he would have been of "military age" until at least late 1917.

RM