Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification help please.

Gunner Bailey

I have this heavy leather item with brass fittings. My first thought was a tent accessory. Note the ruler for scale. There are no markings on this at all.

Any help would be appreciated. 

SSCN8680.JPG.76ef93b1b904364d6ff006a277195a01.JPG

Edited by Gunner Bailey
typo

Is it for attaching traces to a cart shaft or artillery towing trail?

It doesn't look as if it unwinds, but if it does, it just about *might be* the 'Detachable Tug' in the Harness section of Len Trawin's 'Early British Quick Firing Artillery'.

Edited by MikB

No it doesn't unwind. It's a very solid circle of stitched leather in about 4 layers, having the brass work inserted as it grew. I agree some form of harness part is possible.

It does look like the leather loop to use with shaft draft, but for a very light shaft. So light a shaft I am unsure that it's military

Cheers

Ross

IMG_0943.JPG.abc4e22417afcf850c9529152abc71b1.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG.1df684cd83338eee35a86323896ffa5d.JPG

Yes I think you are right. It's in a private military collection but as you say it may not be military. It's certainly unmarked. It could be for a tight fitting on a shaft, rather than the looser fitting shown in your photo. At least I now know what it is. Many thanks.

Thanks Tom. I'm not surprised the the leather lasted in that relic. The one I have is so thick and well treated as to be almost indestructible.