Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Combat Report, 139 Sqn, 14 Sep 17

Errol Martyn

The following appears in an article about 139 Squadron published in Cross & Cockade (Great Britain), Vol 4, No 3, Autumn 1973.

“More fighting came the next day [14 Sep 17]. Captain Hursthouse led a morning recce over the western route and sighted seven Albatros D Vs over Miola. Hursthouse turned and engaged, firing a burst at one EA which crossed his line of flight until his Vickers jammed. His observer took over, only to have his Lewis stop. Lt Isaacs fired 50 rounds at one EA which approached him at close range. The enemy machine passed underneath and Isaacs turned after it and fired a further 80 rounds, whereupon the scout broke up in mid-air.”

Has anyone come across a combat report for this event that they would be willing to share?

TIA,

Errol

The date was 14 September 1918 - the first RFC claims in this theatre weren't made until 29 November 1917.

I don't have copies of the combat reports, but from my notes, the patrol engaged a formation of Albatros Scouts over Levico (some 11 Km south of Miola).  Lieut Joseph Britton Isaacs & 2nd Lieut Norman Abram, in C4760, attacked one scout which broke up under fire from Isaacs' gun while Lieut Harold Vincent Jellicoe & 7941 Sergt Francis Henry Shanks, in D7975, each claimed one out of control.  D7975 was badly shot about in this combat and crashed, but the crew was unharmed.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme. Yes, I should have written 14 Sep 18. I'd repost the thread under the correct date but, going by past experience, a moderator would not take too kindly to such action.

Cheers,

Errol

Hello Graeme,

I tend to blame the not always cooperative keyboard as the real villain!

Errol