Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of projectile

mattcw

To me it looks like a dummy projectile that someone has turned on a lathe to make something to fill an empty case. I’m not sure it’s meant to be a copy of a specific type of 6PR projectile, although it bears a vague resemblance to a WWII 6PR 7CWT HE projectile. (Which is a different gun using a different cartridge case)

56 minutes ago, peregrinvs said:

To me it looks like a dummy projectile that someone has turned on a lathe to make something to fill an empty case. I’m not sure it’s meant to be a copy of a specific type of 6PR projectile, although it bears a vague resemblance to a WWII 6PR 7CWT HE projectile. (Which is a different gun using a different cartridge case)

I'd agree. The hole in the projectile heel looks like a lathe centre-drill hole which would not have represented a practical measure in series production. There's no provision for a driving band. The ogive shows a much longer CRH profile than would've been common in WW1, and looks more like a WW2 or postwar example. The nose doesn't look like a separate component, just delineated with turned undercut.