Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Historiography of the official histories of World War 1

Brusilov

Hi everyone!

I am currently consulting "Writing the Great War: Sir James Edmonds and the Official Histories 1915-1948" to understand better the process of preparing and compiling the British official histories of the Great War.

Do you guys know any book that explores similar themes and topics when it comes to official histories of France and Germany?

I mean are there books that focus on uncovering the process of compiling official histories in other nations than Great Britain?

Wish to hear from you soon.

Kriegsgeschichte und Geschichtspolitik: Der Erste Weltkrieg - Die amtliche deutsche Militärgeschichtsschreibung 1914-1956 by Markus Pöhlmann ISBN 3-506-74481-X deals with the German official history. Unfortunately it is out of print.

Charlie

12 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Kriegsgeschichte und Geschichtspolitik: Der Erste Weltkrieg - Die amtliche deutsche Militärgeschichtsschreibung 1914-1956 by Markus Pöhlmann ISBN 3-506-74481-X deals with the German official history. Unfortunately it is out of print.

Charlie

This seems to be written in academic German, perhaps it is not accessible to me at the moment.

Thank you though, I will add it to the list.

What about the French, do you happen to know any study of similar nature?