Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LT.A.C.NOTTAGE, 4/SHROPS.L.I.

NICK ENTWISTLE

Good Evening - I'm trying to find additional information on the above Gentleman - MIC and Reg,History doesn't reveal a great deal at all.

Any info greatly appreciated please?

Many thanks

16 minutes ago, NICK ENTWISTLE said:

I'm trying to find additional information on the above Gentleman

Is that Arthur Charles NOTTAGE - formerly Pte 2823, Middx Regt?

Have you  looked for his London Gazette entries? 

Here's his commissioning as a 2nd Lt: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30840/supplement/9456

Promotion to Lt: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32157/supplement/12156

His relinquishment of his commission as a Lt: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/32552/supplement/10348

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
LG links

Many thanks Matlock, yes it is.

I did see the LG entries thanks, I was trying to find a link between his WW1 service and any further service WW2 for example.

Appreciate the swift and comprehensive response.

12 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Have you  looked for his London Gazette entries? 

Here's his commissioning as a 2nd Lt: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30840/supplement/9456

The November 1918 British Army List shows him on the strength of the 4th Reserve Battalion of The Kings Shropshire Light Infantry and with seniority from the 14th August 1918 - see column 1370b https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/123103425

Assuming that he was born in England & Wales, (BIG assumption), then there are only two likely candidates in the General Registrars Office Index of Births in England and Wales for an Arthur Charles Nottage.

1) Was registered with the civil authorities in the West Ham District of Essex in Q2 1886. Co-incidentally I've identified that previously as the birth of Private 31092 Arthur Charles Nottage, 2nd Battalion, Norfolk Regiment, who was accidentally drowned while serving in Mesopotamia. Additional information on CWGC "Son of the late Alfred Nottage; husband of M. Nottage, of 116, Woolwich Rd., East Greenwich, London."

2) Was registered with the civil authorities in the Uxbridge District of Middlesex in Q1 1896. Most likely died in Q4 1987, when his date of birth was given as the 6th February 1896 according to the GRO death records for England and Wales. On the 1939 Register there is an Arthur C. Nottage, a married man born 6th February 1896, who was recorded as the first person in the household at 43 Langley Road, Slough. His occupation is shown as Bankers Chief Clerk.  The Register was taken on the 29th September 1939, and all the Regular Army, plus mobilised reservists and members of the Territorial Force should have been at their war station, and so were outside the scope of the exercise. His inclusion would tend to indicate he wasn't serving then. The register subsequently had several different uses including control of the issue of ID cards. Only a limited selection consisting of one page of the entries for each individual was released as a result of a freedom on information request, but if you look at whats available, you can usually see most of the first column of the facing page. Originally left blank, as members of the civil defence forces required special ID cards, along with those whose occupation required them to move around the country, then details were added to this column. But Arthur has no entry. Additonally individuals who subsequently joined the armed forces were usually noted here - presumably their civilian ID card being replaced with an Army one. Again it's blank. But the one group who are noticeable by their absence is the Home Guard \ Local Defence Volunteers.

I didn't come across any reference to him being commissioned again in the London Gazette. His Officers records are catalogued at the National Archive as only going up to 1920 - later periods of service are normally reflected by an additional set of dates.

12 hours ago, NICK ENTWISTLE said:

I was trying to find a link between his WW1 service and any further service WW2 for example.

I could easily have missed something, so do you have reason to believe he served again in WW2?

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

18 hours ago, PRC said:

The November 1918 British Army List shows him on the strength of the 4th Reserve Battalion of The Kings Shropshire Light Infantry and with seniority from the 14th August 1918 - see column 1370b https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/123103425

Assuming that he was born in England & Wales, (BIG assumption), then there are only two likely candidates in the General Registrars Office Index of Births in England and Wales for an Arthur Charles Nottage.

1) Was registered with the civil authorities in the West Ham District of Essex in Q2 1886. Co-incidentally I've identified that previously as the birth of Private 31092 Arthur Charles Nottage, 2nd Battalion, Norfolk Regiment, who was accidentally drowned while serving in Mesopotamia. Additional information on CWGC "Son of the late Alfred Nottage; husband of M. Nottage, of 116, Woolwich Rd., East Greenwich, London."

2) Was registered with the civil authorities in the Uxbridge District of Middlesex in Q1 1896. Most likely died in Q4 1987, when his date of birth was given as the 6th February 1896 according to the GRO death records for England and Wales. On the 1939 Register there is an Arthur C. Nottage, a married man born 6th February 1896, who was recorded as the first person in the household at 43 Langley Road, Slough. His occupation is shown as Bankers Chief Clerk.  The Register was taken on the 29th September 1939, and all the Regular Army, plus mobilised reservists and members of the Territorial Force should have been at their war station, and so were outside the scope of the exercise. His inclusion would tend to indicate he wasn't serving then. The register subsequently had several different uses including control of the issue of ID cards. Only a limited selection consisting of one page of the entries for each individual was released as a result of a freedom on information request, but if you look at whats available, you can usually see most of the first column of the facing page. Originally left blank, as members of the civil defence forces required special ID cards, along with those whose occupation required them to move around the country, then details were added to this column. But Arthur has no entry. Additonally individuals who subsequently joined the armed forces were usually noted here - presumably their civilian ID card being replaced with an Army one. Again it's blank. But the one group who are noticeable by their absence is the Home Guard \ Local Defence Volunteers.

I didn't come across any reference to him being commissioned again in the London Gazette. His Officers records are catalogued at the National Archive as only going up to 1920 - later periods of service are normally reflected by an additional set of dates.

I could easily have missed something, so do you have reason to believe he served again in WW2?

Cheers,
Peter

18 hours ago, PRC said:

Cheers,
Peter

Many thanks PRC, I understand he had WW2 medals but I guess these may have been another family member

9 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

His service file is at Kew https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C721086 (get an independent researcher to copy it for you or pay a visist yourself)

Many thanks David,

12 minutes ago, NICK ENTWISTLE said:

had WW2 medals but I guess these may have been another family member

Oh how we wish they had named and numbered all those WW2 medals! [Better not go too far there lest the Mods have us as going off topic!! ;-) ]

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

1 hour ago, NICK ENTWISTLE said:

I understand he had WW2 medals but I guess these may have been another family member

Unlike WW1, those who served in the UK only in WW2, including in the Civil Defence role, did qualify for medals. The faq page on this website has them entitled to the Defence Star. https://www.home-guard.org.uk/hg/hgfaq.html#faq11

It's outside the remit of this forum and any knowledge I have comes from a quick Google search :). It may well be that his officers records at Kew might reference his later service.

Good luck with your search.
Peter