Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal query

kjharris

Hello all, it's been a while since I was here. Have been thinking about Sue Light recently as I have questions, and she would have had the answers!

Just wondering if anyone has access to a copy of Norman Gooding's book Honours and Awards to Women: The Military Medal please? I have a British nurse who supposedly received a MM in WW1 whose name I wish to check.

cheers

Kirsty

40 minutes ago, kjharris said:

Hello all, it's been a while since I was here. Have been thinking about Sue Light recently as I have questions, and she would have had the answers!

Just wondering if anyone has access to a copy of Norman Gooding's book Honours and Awards to Women: The Military Medal please? I have a British nurse who supposedly received a MM in WW1 whose name I wish to check.

cheers

Kirsty

Kirsty,  I have said book. Let me know her name please.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Wow Russ, that is very cool but I wasn't able to find her in Ancestry and her name is not on the list. Hopefully Terry will solve the mystery for me!

many thanks

K

thanks all - Terry has advised that there is no listing.

6 hours ago, RussT said:

BRCS ....

MM BRCS.JPG

SJAB

Hi again Russ,

Would appreciate if u could tell me how you got this info out of Ancestry. I can find MM winners but go no further. cheers Kirsty

MM SJAB.JPG

• Admin

Hi Kirsty

It was rather a long-winded way of doing it but I couldn't work out how to do it more effectively/efficiently.

I just opened the MM Recipients-specific search panel (see image below) and entered the various nursing service units (e.g. BRCS) I could think of one at a time into the "Regiment" box, and left all the other boxes blank.

I couldn't see how it could be done otherwise with the search boxes that are available.

Perhaps there are other nursing service units beyond those that I used. And I wouldn't necessarily be confident that the output picks up everyone for the units I did select - but I think this is mainly due to the simple fact that Ancestry's transcription database is appalling .......

Example: in the 4 lists I posted above, Josephine Pennell appears in the list when I searched using the general term "VAD" but she did not appear when I searched under the specific term "BRCS". The reason is because Ancestry has incorrectly entered her unit as "BRSC" before "(VAD)" in the "VAD" search - ditto Katherine Fabling. So those 2 ladies do not appear in the output list if searched for using their actual unit term "BRCS". God knows how many more ladies are in the there who don't pop out in a given search.

Regards

Russ

MM Ancestry Search Panel.JPG

I'm still around (just) if anyone needs information on the MM to women.  Unfortunately, my book is not but copies do surface on the 2nd hand boook sites. 

Norman