Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

need some help on verifying the authenticity of some WW1 French Adrian Helmets

jack1999

I've cleaned and preserved many ww2 German helmets and restored some German helmets that had no paint left on them. so I will be cleaning and preserving 2 of the helmets and restoring the light blue helmet back to the original dark blue that you can see underneath the modern paint. if they are original 

Edited by jack1999

I think the last helmet (green with a complete liner) is a post WWI (1926?) pattern.

The other two would appear to be M1915 shells, at least I do not see anything that suggests to me they are reproductions.

Chris

23 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

I think the last helmet (green with a complete liner) is a post WWI (1926?) pattern.

The other two would appear to be M1915 shells, at least I do not see anything that suggests to me they are reproductions.

Chris

yes, two m15 and one m26 Adrian helmets

Hi @jack1999

Do you mean this particular helmet? (your example) --- if so - I think you are out of luck

Of the Adrian Helmet in general?  The Wiki page is actually really pretty good and has some good sources at the bottom and links for you to follow up on.

A basic google search for Casque Adrian or French M1915 turns up dozens of sites.

If you are looking for a book Micheal Hasgrove's book on "Steel Helmets of the First World War" would be a good starting place:

• Publisher ‏ : ‎ Schiffer Publishing (April 19, 2000)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 240 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0764310208
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0764310201

Chris

thx for the help. I am cleaning a German kriegsmarine helmet right now and i have found what i fink is clumps of hair. also there is sum hair stuck behind the helmet liner . what do you think it is?Wehrmacht-M40-Steel-Helmet-Kaluga-found-07.jpg.b5b39ffe97f00d5178b647a113589c09.jpgIMG_1145.JPG.e877d4c72d2cafebc094643057be682d.JPG

Edited by jack1999

I believe I read somewhere that the padding pillows in the German Helmet liners were stuffed with horse-hair.

On 21/09/2021 at 01:13, 4thGordons said:

Hi @jack1999

Do you mean this particular helmet? (your example) --- if so - I think you are out of luck

Of the Adrian Helmet in general?  The Wiki page is actually really pretty good and has some good sources at the bottom and links for you to follow up on.

A basic google search for Casque Adrian or French M1915 turns up dozens of sites.

If you are looking for a book Micheal Hasgrove's book on "Steel Helmets of the First World War" would be a good starting place:

• Publisher ‏ : ‎ Schiffer Publishing (April 19, 2000)
  • Language ‏ : ‎ English
  • Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 240 pages
  • ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0764310208
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0764310201

Chris

The authors followed this volume up a few years later in a two volume set called "The History Of The Steel Helmet In The First World War." Much more detailed and with a lot of text to each nations helmet.