Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Male orderlies and the Conscription

Fairy23

Hi everyone. I am doing research on reserved occupations in Ww1 and am trying to find out whether English male VAD orderlies in France were exempt from the conscription or not. We’re they considered vital parts to the war effort? Please help! 

Edited by Fairy23

There are 15 V.A.D.s from the 26 counties of the Ireland who died during WW1, they are also listed in the C.W.G.C.

Thank you museumtom. For more clarity I’m working on a book that takes place on an ambulance train in France. Did every British male orderly have to enlist or were they exempt and could willingly join? 

Very anecdotal, but some male orderlies were Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) men who had been graded not fit for active service (one features in Lyn McDonald's Roses of No Man's Land). Reading something general on the medical services of the war may help. I'd hope that you can find something in my bibliography at the top of this subforum. A

If a man received conscription papers he could appeal against being called up at a Conscription Tribunal. Based on his claims for exemption the tribunal would decide whether or not he had to serve in the army. Their decision could be appealed against.

I know of one male orderley who was a member of a Linlithgowshire who was conscripted. He appealed on account of being the only member of his V.A.D. who could drive their ambulance. He was serving at home at the time, but his appeal was successful. Other members of the same detachment were not successful.

I would imagine that a VAD male orderley already serving abroad would have a better than average chance of appealing against conscription.

Regards,

Alf McM

This is a little more complicated than it might seem at first .

The basic simple answer is No .  After 1916 when conscription started , Male VAD Members of the either the Red Cross or St John working abroad were not considered to be exempt from conscription . Their were either outside the conscription age or medically unfit In my research youngest Red Cross Male Vale abroad was 16 and oldest wounded was 68 . A few but not many were conscientious objectors (except in the Friends Ambulance  who were Quakers which was basically all conscientious objectors)  . Remember it was a right written into the 1916 act that you had a right to be an objector.

You also have to remember that Male RAMC orderlies out numbered Female nurses by a big number and that the Red cross had its own Ambulance Trains as did the AMS  '

I am sure that you have read both of Kate Luards books , Diary of a nursing sister and Unknown Warriors , Which are probably the best two .

The other vital reference is the Joint War Committee report of 1922

Hope this helps , I have a busy week ahead but should pop back

Cheers

Jack

Alf mcm, thanks for your detailed reply. I knew a bit about tribunals but you cleared some things up for me. SeaJane, thank you for the info. I will definitely look into what you’ve suggested. Male VAD(Jack) thank you very much for the response. You’ve included a lot of resources there and I will do my reading when I can. Much appreciated!