Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

photo of wounded at Passchendaele

Rick Law

When I was a young lad, my Grandmother showed me a newspaper clipping (probably Toronto Star) depicting some wounded men at Passchendaele. She suggested that the Sergeant was my Uncle who was a member of the 9th Canadian Machine Gun Corp. I have since seen this photo in various locations and I would like to know if anyone has any information about the photo.

Paschendaele.JPG

Hi Rick

Should that be he was a member of 9th Canadian Machine Gun Company (3rd Division),  I believe it was a single MG Corp made up of several companies, and it wasn’t until 1918 that they (the MG companies) were amalgamated into 4 battalions that were assigned one per Division.
The IWM  attribute the photo being shot near the Heine Pillbox.

Object description     Assault on Passchendaele 12 October - 6 November: A group of lightly wounded Canadians resting for a smoke near Heine pillbox.

Object details

Category     Photographs

Related period     First World War (production), First World War (content)

Creator     Rider-Rider, W (Lt),      Canadian Official photographer

Production date       1917-11

Materials      whole: glass

Catalogue number      CO 2212

A rather surly looking chap in a German uniform at the back

George

My uncle's name was Reginald Burgess, and yes he was wounded in the right leg on October 26 at Passchendaele alongside the 58th battalion CEF. I knew my uncle as a man in his 60s, and he passed away from heart disease in 1963 when I was 13. The man in the photo bears a strong resemblance to my uncle and could easily have been him. During his time in Passchendaele he was a private,  so the stripes are a mystery.  He was though,  an acting sergeant in Blighty before he went to Belgium. Perhaps he didn't remove the stripes from his jacket.