Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Button (?) found at WWI camp site at Fovant

Moonraker

Recently several buttons and badges have been unearthed at Fovant, the site of a large army camp near Salisbury in WWI. When it comes to identifying them, most are self-evident and there's a rather nice RAF WWI cap-badge, perhaps lost by a serviceman in 1919 when the camp was a major demobilisation one. But this is a puzzle:

558592120_Fovantcoin-button.JPG.403238b6451398281deb03dc5229feda.JPG

Any thoughts, please?

I have somehow managed to "Hide" (a really irritating facility) my initial reply. 

It seems to be a hunt, or perhaps servant (postilion?), livery button of the Cove family out of Herefordshire:  Out Of A Ducal Coronet Or, A Dexter Arm In Armour Embowed Holding In The Gauntlet A Battle-Axe Ppr.

Source: Fairbairn's Book of Crests, 1905 ed.

Perhaps invited as a guest to a local hunt or maybe fell from a carriage postilion.

NB.  There are others very similar, but e.g. with the arm emerging from a Naval coronet, or a Mural coronet, or a Saxon coronet, each one relating to a different family name.  Only the Naval coronet bears any jewels and it has sails atop rather than foliated points.

Cove Family.jpg

Cove-England.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Very impressive, Frogsmile. Your eclectic knowledge often impresses me. Thanks.

I've passed on the details to the Fovant resident who contacted me.

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

Very impressive, Frogsmile. Your eclectic knowledge often impresses me. Thanks.

I've passed on the details to the Fovant resident who contacted me.

I’m glad to help.  The thanks is due to the Internet.  I merely researched a description of the design.  Such livery was common during the era of house servants and there are those who collect the buttons.

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m glad to help.  The thanks is due to the Internet.  I merely researched a description of the design. 

But knowing to put into the search field the description "A Dexter Arm In Armour Embowed Holding In The Gauntlet A Battle-Axe Ppr." needs an unusual, probably encyclopaedic, level of knowledge. 

I have to agree with Mr. Raker's comment. 

Dave

24 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

But knowing to put into the search field the description "A Dexter Arm In Armour Embowed Holding In The Gauntlet A Battle-Axe Ppr." needs an unusual, probably encyclopaedic, level of knowledge. 

I have to agree with Mr. Raker's comment. 

Dave

Thank you for the kind sentiment.  It’s a pleasure to mingle in the forum with such courteous fellow enthusiasts.