Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russian unit cdrs 1917

RHLV

Helping a friend of mine with some genealogical research. Looking for any info on the following 3 individuals:

Nikolaev (first name unknown) commander Russian 160th Infantry Division 1917

Chernyavsky (first name unknown) commander Russian 165th Infantry Division 1917

Aleksandrov (again first name unknow) commander Russian 6th Caucasus Cossack Division 1917

And that's all he has.

Also any info on the Russian 54th and 122nd Infantry Divisions, and the 4th and 5th Grenadier Divisions. Apparently he had a bunch of relatives in the Russian Army during WWI and is looking for info on where they were and who led them.

Any info would be appreciated.

Rich

Edited by RHLV

Hello! 

I was able to find information about the commander of Russian 6th Caucasus Cossack Division, 1917.

He is Semen Markovich Aleksandrov, born in 1859, in Semirechensk Cossack District (now in south-east of Kasakhstan). Officer from 1883. He served in 1st Semirechensk Cossack regiment until 1910s, then in 1st Poltavsky Kuban Cossack regiment, then in the rank of Colonel he commanded 3rd Kuban Cossack regiment and in 1917 was appointed commander of 6th Caucasus Cossack Division. No information since then... I don't know if he took part in the Russain civil war, he was already quite old.

He emigrated in 1929. His son was in Shanghai... 

That's all i have. Hope this helps.

Edited by Mikhail

18 minutes ago, James A Pratt III said:

On my post below there is a site ria1914.info/index which has the bios of WW I era Russian officers

Yes I know this site, thanks.

there is just a very poor information about Semen Aleksandrov here.

https://www.ria1914.info/index.php/Александров_Семен_Маркович

I was able to find much more using other resources.

Edited by Mikhail

On 17/09/2021 at 04:15, RHLV said:

Nikolaev (first name unknown) commander Russian 160th Infantry Division 1917

Chernyavsky (first name unknown) commander Russian 165th Infantry Division 1917

unfortunately, there is a very few information about General-Majors Nikolaev and Chernyavsky.

Among the Russian generals of the First World War, there are several candidates with such a surname, but it has not yet been possible to establish which of them exactly commanded the divisions. It seems to me that the problem is that the 160th and 165th divisions were formed at the very end of the war, in 1917, in the beginning of the revolution, and it is very difficult now to find all full-fledged documents, even by appointment of division commanders, especially since they commanded divisions for a very short time.

and finally, your friend  could apply directly to the Russian military-historical archive, where they will help to identify all the information related to the persons of interest.

http://rgvia.com

Good luck!

Edited by Mikhail

Hello!

What do you mean ‘communist name’?

Semen (Semion or Semyon) is quite common Russian name.

9 hours ago, Mikhail said:

Hello!

What do you mean ‘communist name’?

Semen (Semion or Semyon) is quite common Russian name.

I mean like how Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili became Joseph Stalin after he became a Communist because it means "man of steel" and had industrial worker undertones. Why would anyone want to be named "Semen"?

On 24/09/2021 at 20:05, HJ Armstrong said:

I mean like how Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili became Joseph Stalin after he became a Communist because it means "man of steel" and had industrial worker undertones. Why would anyone want to be named "Semen"?

it's absolutely different story :)  it's true that some leaders of the Bolshevik party took pseudonyms (to be more precise, a party nicknames) instead of surnames for themselves, but Colonel Semen Aleksandrov it seems was not a bolshevik, he was career Russian officer.

and again, Semen - very popular Russian christian name, Alexandrov - even more popular and common Russian surname...

Edited by Mikhail

• 2 months later...

Hello,

In a German overview of Russian commanders (Verzeichnis der russischen höheren Führer und Generalstabsoffiziere nach dem Stande vom 1. Juli 1917), I can find a Generalmajor Tschernjawski, born 18.08.1860, commander 1. Brigade 124. Infantry Division, with a career as a military engineer and in the front line.

Commander of the 122 Infantry Division was Generalmajor Lichatschew, born 22.10.1860, with a career as military engineer and in the front line and previously commander of 1. Brigade 13. Infantry Division.

Jan

Thanks to all who replied. I will pass along the info you provided to my friend. I hope he will take some time to come here and thank you personally.

In helping him research his family ancestry I've gotten interested in an issue that I'm hoping someone can resolve. I find places where there are references to a 4th Grenadier Division and other places that go directly from the 3rd Grenadier to the 5th Grenadier Division, as if the 4th doesn't even exist. Out of curiosity, was there a 4th Grenadier Division? I admit to not knowing much about WWI (my specialty at the university where I teach is Ancient History) so I'd like to find out something as simple as did the unit exist.

Rich

Edited by RHLV

3 minutes ago, RHLV said:

Thanks to all who replied. I will pass along the info you provided to my friend. I hope he will take some time to come here and thank you personally.

In helping him research his family ancestry I've gotten interested in an issue that I'm hoping someone can resolve. I find places where there are references to a 4th Grenadier Division and other places that go directly from the 3rd Grenadier to the 5th Grenadier Division, as if the 4th doesn't even exist. Out of curiosity, was there a 4th Grenadier Division? I admit to not knowing much about WWI (my specialty at the university where I teach is Anceint History) so I'd like to find out something as simple as did the unit exist.

Rich

The Germans at least mention a 4th Grenadier Division in their overview of the Russian Army so they seem convinced it existed.

There was no 4th grenadier division in the Russian army. At the beginning of the war there were 1st, 2nd and 3rd Grenadier divisions and Caucasian grenadier division, which  was formally considered the fourth Grenadier division.

In 1917, the 5th, 6th Grenadier and 2nd Caucasian grenadier divisions were formed.