Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Very confusing Labour Corps service file.

DuncanBro

Hello, I'm researching Private 489598 Ralph Howard Raby, Labour Corp and I'm very confused by his postings on his service file attached. Can someone please decyfer it for me please? I can see what looks like something about Italy, so may be sent to Italy?

Also, he was a railway clerk from Worcester, in his 20s and his physical condition described as good. So I'm confused as to why he was drafted into the Labour Corps given his non physical civilian job, age and good physical health. Always thought the Labour Corps was older men or men less fit for frontline service, or with experience in labouring jobs in civilian life?

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by DuncanBro

43 minutes ago, ajsmith said:

His eyesight was very poor though, maybe that was the reason. 6/60 on the Snellen scale is about as bad as it gets. 

Wow, thanks, I never noticed that.

• 2 months later...

It would appear to me that he was called up in May 1917 and posted to the Gloucester Regiment, as pointed out previously he was then transferred to the Labour Corp. Posted Over seas to Italian Headquarters, for Divisional Employment Companies on 31/12/1917, unlucky fellow New Years eve posting!.  Arriving 1/1/1918 at B Infantry Base depot from Havre by my reckoning, he travelled presumably by rail to 363 Reserve Employment Company at Arquata?. Eventually ending up at Taranto joining 196 Labour company on 13/3/18. Returning to Arquata on 17/4/18 and his own unit (363 Reserve Labour Company) until 18/01/19 when he returned to Havre, I think it is, enrolee to England and demobilising, being put onto Labour Corp Reserve on 24/02/19...at least that's what I can read into it...hope that helps any corrections I will defer to others... 

On 23/11/2021 at 19:00, exXIX said:

It would appear to me that he was called up in May 1917 and posted to the Gloucester Regiment, as pointed out previously he was then transferred to the Labour Corp. Posted Over seas to Italian Headquarters, for Divisional Employment Companies on 31/12/1917, unlucky fellow New Years eve posting!.  Arriving 1/1/1918 at B Infantry Base depot from Havre by my reckoning, he travelled presumably by rail to 363 Reserve Employment Company at Arquata?. Eventually ending up at Taranto joining 196 Labour company on 13/3/18. Returning to Arquata on 17/4/18 and his own unit (363 Reserve Labour Company) until 18/01/19 when he returned to Havre, I think it is, enrolee to England and demobilising, being put onto Labour Corp Reserve on 24/02/19...at least that's what I can read into it...hope that helps any corrections I will defer to others... 

Thank you, that's really informative.