Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hotel Ibis, Arras

stephenh

Pals

I have just booked a few nights in the Hotel Ibris, Arras in Early May and would just like to get a feel for the place before I set off, is it a good place to stay and also is there car parking space available for my banger!

Thank You

Stephen

Hi Stephen, hope you booked into the IBIS, in Place d'Ipswich. This is a decent basic hotel, well placed within Arras between the Grand Place and the Place des Heroes. I usually park right outside but there is plenty of street parking close by and some great bars and restuarants nearby.

MC

Just checked out your website, Mike. Very interesting book you have there. Is it from a family member of yours?

Robbie

Robbie

The Nurse was from a family in the Oxfordshire village where I grew up and it came to me through the family of a friend of hers. I have never been able to trace what eventually became of Nurse Harvey; in fact the fate of some of the Soldiers has been easier to trace. Probably time for me to resume work on this project !!

Mike

PS Stephen, I have always been well served at the Ibis - enjoy your visit.

• 1 month later...

Stephen,

Ive stayed at this hotel and its quite good, and well located. My room was a bit pokey but friends with me with a 7 year old had an spacious room (a suite really) The bar area is tiny and not the place to spend an evening. We parked in a small square within yards of the Hotel and from memory its free overnight but you have to pay during the day. The staff were okay but with all chain hotels a little indifferent.

Restaurant was adequate not a bad meal really, but breakfast not upto much.

Having stayed in Ibis hotels in Amsterdam, Arras, Lille, Galway and elsewhere I have found that it does pay to complain if you are not satisfied ie in Amsterdam I was removing my trousers watched through the window by a railway coach full! I soon had another room!

Have a good stay

Patrick

Having stayed in Ibis hotels in Amsterdam, Arras, Lille, Galway and elsewhere I have found that it does pay to complain if you are not satisfied ie in Amsterdam I was removing my trousers watched through the window by a railway coach full! I soon had another room!

I bet the people on the railway coach complained, too! :blink:

Patrick

Thanks for that view, I cant wait. Heading over on the 6 May for a few days. Been nearly 3 years since my last battlefield visit so as you can imagine I'm counting the days.

Stephen

Hello Stephen,

I know Hotel Ibis at Arras.

Advantage, it's in center of the town, and middle price, restaurants around.

Disadvantage, no parking at the hotel, your car must stay in the street.

The rooms are a bit little.

Regards

Pierre

:blink:

"Having stayed in Ibis hotels in Amsterdam, Arras, Lille, Galway and elsewhere I have found that it does pay to complain if you are not satisfied ie in Amsterdam I was removing my trousers watched through the window by a railway coach full! I soon had another room! "

Hope they did not see any relics!!

I stayed in the Ibis last Jun - yes it is a basic hotel but it is good value; I can recommend it.

The room was clean and tidy; not large but big enough for two blokes. A good buffet style breakfast and there is a bar. That said, you are opnly 100 metres from the Grand Place which has a wide selection of bars and resturants. Car parking is difficult by the hotel but, if you park on the Grand Place, it is no problem.

Live and let live I say, but is this the sort of thing you really want to admit to in public?  <_<  ;)

I was in Amsterdam after all. ;) Didnt have the same effect in Galway

Just checked out your website, Mike. Very interesting book you have there. Is it from a family member of yours?

Robbie

You are right Robbie, great first hand accounts and drawings!