Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Nek

mcderms

My uncle has just returned from visiting relatives in Oz and it turns out that a distant cousins grandfather was in the Light Horse charge at the Nek and miraculously survived. He's going to be getting in touch to discuss researching the UK side of his relatives story (which I am up to speed on) but can anyone suggest some good sources for info on the Nek? I have the Carlyon and Hickey books as well as I Was There and also visited the Nek a few years ago so where next, Pals?

You might like to look at The Nek by Peter Burness; ISBN 0 86417 782 8.

In addition, there's Volume II of the Australian Official History, which is on line at:http://awm.gov.au/histories/ww1/2/index.asp

I hope this helps.

Gareth

You could search the Australian Lighthorse Forum

www.lighthorse.org.au/forum/

Goodbye Cobber, God Bless You by John Hamilton is a recent release worth reading.

mcderms,

Th best source is the monography : "The Nek", by AWM cooperator Peter Burness

Published by Kangaroo Press, 1996, 168pp. ISBN 0 86417 782 8

Cannot be too difficult to find it.

CGI

Try "Goodbye Cobber, God Bless You" by John Hamilton. An excellent book with many firsthand accounts on the Nek attack and the Light Horse journey from leaving Australia, training in Egypt and service on Gallipoli.

• 2 months later...

Hi McDerms,

The chap in my signature block also survived the Nek, only to be caught in a mine explosion a couple of weeks later. Some of my relatives have been doing some work in this space, and I have some letters etc.

Was your relative 8th LH?

mcderms,

Try searching the collections of the AWM for books on the Nek. They have a wealth of little-known publications available for study at their research centre.

www.awm.gov.au

As has already been mentioned, the Australian Official History should be your first port of call.

Cheers,

Mat