Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian 1916 SMLE Leather Sling - Markings

16thBNCanScotJim

Hello all,  

I have recently received an incredible gift from a fellow collector; a Canadian 1916 Leather SMLE Sling.  I absolutely love this piece and the history it holds. Every bit of grim and dirt is history!  It has some markings/ stamps I recognize including the Canadian  ’C’ with the Broad Arrow in it, and the maker “Hugh Carson Co Ltd.” In Ottawa Ontario and 1916 stamp.  Below the C and broad arrow, the number 3 is stamped and am wondering if anyone ( .....4th. Gordon’s) can tell me what it’s meaning is.  

Also there appears to be the letter ‘L’ stamped with something else beside it have been stamped just above the slider   .. any ideas about and what they ? It is original and well seasoned so have only moisturized it with some natural oils they would have used such as bacon grease.  Here are picks and thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help.

cheers32837B66-E94C-4D04-A56A-1DA64C0191C7.jpeg.0abcc53923df5850c0380a95db4a8b68.jpeg

84727381-8111-4235-918C-A7EC7917431B.jpeg

898986FE-5F38-40C3-B627-15FF85A2DE50.jpeg

71EF7E21-B35F-41FC-99AD-3BE3B126E968.jpeg

70CED14B-959C-4B54-A088-F2B74E529F26.jpeg

Sorry - can't help.

If I were to guess: I it would be that the 3 identifies whichever inspector/stores clerk etc that put the Canadian acceptance mark on the sling in the factory/upon delivery, or perhaps the Depot at which it was accepted or from which it was issued..... but that would be pure guesswork.

No idea on the L either - on rifles and bayonets there are frequently single letters stamped in all sorts of places - the meanings of which are generally unknown. They are usually explained as being related to the production process indicating one stage in the production has been completed (machining, shaping, hardening, tapping, finishing etc etc) I suppose the same could be true with leather (tanning cutting trimming stitching dying finishing etc) certainly when I worked a summer job in a leather processing factory many years ago, marks were used to indicate the stages through which the hides or partially finished products had passed. Again - pure guesswork - others may know better

Sorry, It's a really nice piece though, congrats.

Chris

Just a suggestion, the number 3 could possibly relate to the Canadian Military District stores from which the particular sling was inspected and issued from. There was 12 or 13 of these Military Districts and number 3 was based around Kingston, Ontario.

Cheers,  SS 

On 05/09/2021 at 08:50, 4thGordons said:

Sorry - can't help.

If I were to guess: I it would be that the 3 identifies whichever inspector/stores clerk etc that put the Canadian acceptance mark on the sling in the factory/upon delivery, or perhaps the Depot at which it was accepted or from which it was issued..... but that would be pure guesswork.

No idea on the L either - on rifles and bayonets there are frequently single letters stamped in all sorts of places - the meanings of which are generally unknown. They are usually explained as being related to the production process indicating one stage in the production has been completed (machining, shaping, hardening, tapping, finishing etc etc) I suppose the same could be true with leather (tanning cutting trimming stitching dying finishing etc) certainly when I worked a summer job in a leather processing factory many years ago, marks were used to indicate the stages through which the hides or partially finished products had passed. Again - pure guesswork - others may know better

Chris

Thanks Chris, I appreciate you having a look at it for me. All the best!

8 hours ago, shippingsteel said:

Just a suggestion, the number 3 could possibly relate to the Canadian Military District stores from which the particular sling was inspected and issued from. There was 12 or 13 of these Military Districts and number 3 was based around Kingston, Ontario.

Cheers,  SS 

Great idea SS,  thanks I’ll look into that!  All the best to you!

Jim

• 1 month later...
On 05/09/2021 at 08:50, 4thGordons said:

Sorry - can't help.

Chris

Hi Chris

Followup question... 1916... would this have been made for and used on the Ross rifles first?

Jim

I have a leather ammunition pouch with a '9' under the C-broad arrow, made by Timothy Eaton Co. of Toronto. Toronto wasn't in the 9th MD however. I can't find the reference at the moment and I don't know for certain but I seem to recall the numbers being inspector marks.

IMG_0454.jpg