Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"KHAKI": uniforms of the CEF

Muerrisch

Inexpensive A4 48 pp, softback, clear type-face but poor paper which makes a bad job of reproducing the many [potentially excellent] photographs.

My expertise, if I have one, is badges of rank and what is loosely called "trade": including skill-at-arms, trade, prize, proficiency, appointment etc.

I have to say that, either the CEF marched to the beat of a totally different drum regarding these matters, or that there are lots of errors of fact. For example:

1. good conduct badge for 4 years service [2 for BEF]

2. bugler crossed bugles [single for BEF]

3. scout badge with cross bar for infantry, without cross bar for cavalry [bEF cross bar first class both infantry and cavalry, no bar for second class or company scouts]

4. illustration stretcher bearer with Geneva Cross [bEF "SB" on brassard, no cross]

5. illustration sergeant drummer major [bEF either "sergeant drummer" or "drum major"]

6. illustration sergeant bugler: [no badge visible other than rank]

7. The tabulation of rank and appointment badges seems curiously behind the times: either the CEF were stuck in a time warp [RSM badges for example] or the book is wrong several times in this tabulation.

As I say, the author could be right, but I doubt it. As to areas where I have no knowledge, I resist temptation.

Is it better than nothing? Oh yes indeed, a decent effort, and, if I am wrong, it is an eye-opener regarding diversification between Canada and the BEF. We shall see.

Is this a record? 23 looks, no replies.

Perhaps everyone is in agreement.

Get out the Ouija board: "Is anyone there ..... knock knock .....

LB1418, why don't you try your comments over on the CEF Study Group; the author of Khaki visits there and could perhaps answer some of your questions.

(I have no expertise in this at all; rely on you chaps for this.)

Peter in Vancouver

LB1418.

Clive is very open to critiques of his books.

The CEF did not differ very much at all from the BEF (It could be said the CEF differed more from the Canadian Militia than from the BEF)

When the book was being written I supplied part of my collection to be photographed. At the time I did not have very good source material for badges etc so I probably did Clive a dis-service during a review I did for him.

Joe Sweeney