Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haig and The Somme : some enlightenment or opinion, please

phil andrade

Anxious not to generate more heat than light, I seek to read others’ views about the direction of attack that was pursued by Haig after the first day.

My understanding is that he sought to exploit the lodgement that had been made in the southern sector of the attack, rather than persist in the attempt to wrest the Thiepval Spur in the North from the Germans.

In this he ran afoul of Joffre, who insisted - and even “ordered” - that Haig continue to attack in the northern sector.

To my mind, Haig’s decision to pursue the initial advantage gained in the South seems eminently sensible.  The most cursory survey of the awful British experience along the Thiepval Spur on 1 July makes any further onslaught there in the immediate aftermath look like a truly mad thing to attempt.

Have I missed something here ?

Was Haig breaking the coalition spirit by defying Joffre ; or was there a reasonable chance to prevail in the North even after the debacle of the first day ?

Phil

Phil,

I'm no expert on the battle so I can only offer the following which is taken from the Wilson and Prior book 'The Somme' who report that after a somewhat testy meeting between Haig, Rawlinson and Jffre during which the latter did indeed 'order' the British GOC to continue the attack at Thiepval.

"..On reflection the three commanders soon realised that there was no choice to be made. The line around Thiepval could not be assailed...............So it was decided by the Haig and Rawlinson that operations must be confined to securing the southern sector, from Orvillers to Bernafrey Wood.

Apparently they are quoting from 4th Army Operations Orders

Sound like a 'full and frank exchange of views' during which some sort of consensus was achieved and without endangering inter allied cooperation

Ed

Thanks Ed.

Jack Sheldon titles a chapter in his book FIGHTING THE SOMME (2017) “ Haig Lets the Defence off the Hook 1st-15th July”.

Page 76   Haig, having taken the decision , to Joffre’s dismay, to abandon for the time being any further attempt to capture the high ground from Pozieres to Serre, directed that the emphasis of the British campaign was to gain ground to the  south of the Albert-Bapaume road from Fricourt east to Montauban.  As a direct result Fourth Army spent the days 2-13 July carrying out no fewer than forty six narrow front attacks , which cost 25,000 casualties in preparation for an assault on the German Second Position from Bazentin le Petit to Longueval.

On page 89 he continues ..... it was quite apparent that the British army, playing into hands of the defence yet again, was now thrusting at ninety degrees to the original axis of advance and was thus drifting even further away from its French allies.

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

Haigs diary for the 3rd July makes interesting reading as he relates the nature of the meeting with Joffre and his entourage which included Foch and Weygand.

The explosive and stern nature of Joffre’s rebuke regarding the narrowing of British objectives after July 1st seems to have been interpreted in a poor light by Haig. “I soothed old Joffre down……All present at the interview felt ashamed of Joffre”.

Haig makes no mention in the diary of the fighting on the Somme that day and the entire entry relates to the meeting with Joffre. Indeed it is clear that Haig feels rather pleased with himself and the manner which he dealt with the French Generals outburst.