Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge

domwalsh

Hi all.

I was looking up a marine - PO.19930 Pte Reginald James THURGOOD - on Forces War Records and there are two entries for the SWB. He is listed on ADM 171/182 and ADM 171/187. Could somebody receive more than one?

While I'm on the subject of Thurgood, his ADM 159 gives his DOB as 2/2/1899 and his mother's name as Isabella. Meanwhile, Ancestry notes a Reginald James Thurgood who was born on 2/2/1902 to a mother called Isabel. The latter Thurgood was for a time a singer with the D'Oyly Carte company and possibly a conductor, which doesn't seem to fit, but the coincidence of both being born on 2nd Feb and the similarity in the mother's name seem too good to be true. Any thoughts most welcome.

Thanks and regards.

Dom

• Admin

Census record for 1911 suggests it may be the same man as I cannot find a record for  Reginald James born 1899 but can for 1902 - lied about his age? Nothing in the 1901 census either.

Image courtesy FMPimage.png

7 minutes ago, domwalsh said:

PO.19930 Pte Reginald James THURGOOD

WFA/Fold3 Pension Index Card as 19920 - RMLI

Discharged 20.11.19 

Got 5/6 pw 21.11.19 to 17.2.20 [on the 1918 scale equates to 20% disability - I would have however thought/expected would be using a later scale]

Address 24 Storey St, North Woolwich, SE

:-) M

25 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Yes,. you're right! Have just found an enlistment in the Australian forces for Charles Thurgood in 1916 aged 22, whose father William lived at 24 Storey Street. That is the same address as given for the RMLI Thurgood's mother Isabella on his ADM 159. Unusual for an RMLI private to become a D'Oyly Carte singer. And he was only 15 when joining up, haviong lied about being born in 1899. 

Thanks David

Dom

Census record for 1911 suggests it may be the same man as I cannot find a record for  Reginad James born 1899 but can for 1902 - lied about his age? Nothing in the 1901 census either.

Image courtesy FMPimage.png

36 minutes ago, domwalsh said:

Hi all.

I was looking up a marine - PO.19930 Pte Reginald James THURGOOD - on Forces War Records and there are two entries for the SWB. He is listed on ADM 171/182 and ADM 171/187. Could somebody receive more than one?

Hi Dom,

He is listed in two indexes. The first index is surnames S to Z. The second is indexed by badne numbers 45801 to 48600. 

Cheers
Keith

ADM_392.JPG

1 hour ago, domwalsh said:

I was looking up a marine - PO.19930 Pte Reginald James THURGOOD 

Interestingly he took part in the Zeebrugge Raid and his name got put in the ballot for VC.

The National Archives' reference ADM 159/196/19930

MB

7 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

his name got put in the ballot for VC.

It would be more accurate to say that he participated in the ballot with all the other RMLI and RMA survivors. There is no evidence that his name got even one vote.and there was no list of 'candidates' in the ballot - everyone was in it and anyone could be nominated.

‘Still, perhaps it would be wise
Not to carp or criticise,
For it's very evident
My intentions were well meant.’

Edited by KizmeRD

1 hour ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Thanks Keith - that explains it!

Appreciated.

Dom

Hi Dom,

He is listed in two indexes. The first index is surnames S to Z. The second is indexed by badne numbers 45801 to 48600. 

Cheers
Keith

ADM_392.JPG

Edited by domwalsh
Spelling

1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

Interestingly he took part in the Zeebrugge Raid and his name got put in the ballot for VC.

The National Archives' reference ADM 159/196/19930

MB

He did indeed.....

I had been thinking it would be a given that he would be a Zeebrugge marine. He's not on the list of Zeebrugge raid wounded in Paul Kendall's book.

You're right, he wasn't wounded in the raid, and then served in France. He was invalided out in November 1919. 

7 hours ago, Milner said:

THE D'OYLY CARTE OPERA COMPANY

R. J. Thurgood (1926)

[Born East Ham, London 2 Feb 1902, died Crawley, Sussex 3 Oct 1974]

Reginald James Thurgood was a base chorister with the D'Oyly Carte Repertory Opera Company from April to December 1926. https://gsarchive.net/whowaswho/

Yes. I found that too. Thanks. I live near Crawley as it happens