Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death Plaque On Bargain Hunt

Ron da Valli

On today's Bargain Hunt a couple bought a death plaque named Richard Hartshorn. I did a bit of research whilst watching it sell for £50 & found he was from Willenhall, Staffordshire. He was in the 8th South Staffs. He was shot by a sniper whilst on patrol.

07e3a64d-473c-45ac-8817-eae383b2106a.jpg

Surprised that the auctioneers didn't do a little research on the plaque.

Hmm?

CWGC have Richard HARTSHORNE, 12997 8th S Staffs https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/284349/RICHARD HARTSHORNE - his Hartshorne family lived in the nearby Wednesbury [also recorded on Pension Cards at WFA/Fold3 as Jenny/Jane]. As Hartshorn SDGW have his birth as Darlaston.  Enlisted Wednesbury  Edit: 1906 Marriage in West Bromwich to Jenny Corrall as Hartshorn [Corrall maiden surname matches children's birth registrations as Hartshorne]

However ...

CWGC have R. HARTSHORN, 201038 1/5th S Staffs  https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/53378/R HARTSHORN - Pension Cards at WFA/Fold3 have him as Richard HARTSHORNE - his Hartshorne family lived in the not so far away Brownhills, Walsall.  As Hartshorne/Hartshorn SDGW have his birth as Willenhall. Residence Brownhills. Enlisted Walsall

Spelling of surname and identification of a plaque with a solitary forename of Richard ... ???

General area of geographical provenance seems unlikely to be definitive - Is it possible that there was more info [accurate?] on the programme ?

Or ???

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

The programme gave no additional information & the auctioneer added nothing. You would think that they would have done their homework. 

1 minute ago, Ron da Valli said:

You would think that they would have done their homework. 

Not so easy methinks!

Might not have expected it of the auctioneers but surely perhaps the programme might [But then again that is not really their bag for either - just flogging/filling stuff on an afternoon tv]

5 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Not so easy methinks!

Might not have expected it of the auctioneers but surely perhaps the programme might [But then again that is not really their bag for either - just flogging/filling stuff on an afternoon tv]

How can an auction house or auctioneer assess the value of a named item if they do not check the provenence?

1 hour ago, squirrel said:

How can an auction house or auctioneer assess the value of a named item if they do not check the provenence?

In my general opinion [can't specifically comment in this case] just based on their 'experience' - it seems some [many?] frequently just go with approximately what they have recently seen before, high or low - and let the market take it where it will.

Caveat emptor - bidders do your own research first!

:-/ M

I hate to admit that I watch the programme (it's convenient while eating lunch), but the valuations on pretty well everything seem remarkably hit and miss. The more recent (Covid-safe) episodes seem particularly prone to over-valuing pretty well everything.

• 9 months later...

Hello, I'm a descendant of Richard Hartshorn's brother Alexander (my great great grandfather). I've been looking into my family history recently and have spoken to the grandson of Richard today. I've passed this thread onto him and his wife and a link to the episode.

If anyone is still interested I can come back with an update on if the plaque belonged to him and possibly some more information on his service?

1961978805_Screenshot2022-06-15at22_00_13.png.8005b6a4d180de94cb0df73be3927ac6.png