Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salient in the Snow

John S

At Berts request in the other 'Salient in the Snow' thread some photos taken last weekend, hope there aren't too many for you.

They are not all taken by me.

First one the Football Field

post-4-1110455611.jpg

Noel Chavasse (5th March)

post-4-1110461198.jpg

Brandhoek New Military Cemetery

post-4-1110461259.jpg

Having never been to the Western Front or a WWI cemetary (its a dream I will someday fulfill) I had a question re: Brandhoek. In the picture it looks like (and it may just be the angle it was shot from)the headstones in the front row are touching while the ones behind have more space between them. Is this at all significant? Do the ones that are closer represent a mass grave? Just a quick question.

BTW maybe its the snow, but the pics are pretty sobering.

Jon

Having never been to the Western Front or a WWI cemetary (its a dream I will someday fulfill) I had a question re: Brandhoek. In the picture it looks like (and it may just be the angle it was shot from)the headstones in the front row are touching while the ones behind have more space between them. Is this at all significant? Do the ones that are closer represent a mass grave? Just a quick question.

BTW maybe its the snow, but the pics are pretty sobering.

Jon

Hi Jon,

There are many threads on this topic on the forum, a quick search will give you details.

Here's a quick link anyay http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=14647

Ryan

Just wanted to let everyone know that Pal John S went out of his way and took some photo's and personally emailed them to me of my Great-Great- Uncle's headstone at LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY while on this latest trip.

You're a good man John....thanks again.

JAY

Headstones that touch do indicate mass burial though there are exceptions to all such generalizations.

and mass re-burial in the case of 2RWF at Pont du Hem

Terribly rude of me, I didn't give due recognition to my mate and fellow member of the annual battlefield tour party, Steve Williams, for the pics