Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PLOCKTON WAR MEMORIAL

mbriscoe

Impressive. Thank you for posting.

I was up that way a few weeks ago and the area around it was very overgrown but fortunately they have cut the grass since then! 

Notice the electric "fence" around the memorial!  I presume to keep sheep and cattle away.

Beautiful photos. I am glad to see your war memorial photos back again.

Can someone translate the Gaelic inscription please?

RM

• Thanks, not being doing many over the last year because of all the restrictions.  Late last year I started trying to find memorials that did not have any images on the IWM WMR (or poor quality ones) and within range of a day trip.  I could have missed posting some here, I will try and add some URLs for ones that have not been added.

9 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Beautiful photos. I am glad to see your war memorial photos back again.

Can someone translate the Gaelic inscription please?

RM

Using a translation app, would indicate the literal translation is "loyal to death" or similar.

Best wishes

Rockford

21 hours ago, mbriscoe said:
  • Thanks, not being doing many over the last year because of all the restrictions.  Late last year I started trying to find memorials that did not have any images on the IWM WMR (or poor quality ones) and within range of a day trip.  I could have missed posting some here, I will try and add some URLs for ones that have not been added.

I was up in Scotland a couple of weeks ago, stopping at Stirling en route to Inverness. My good lady wife was very co-operative in permitting me to stop and photograph quite a few, including a detour to Forres, and a stop on the A96 near Inverness Airport to photograph one at Petty Church, Tornagrain, which was rather splendid.

Sunday afternoon helped, and my wife parked in the side road, in the gateway to the churchyard.