Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My great Grandad was a company sjgt major 8th seaforth highlanders. Was interested in his medals and if anyone knows what these medals were for. thank

Corinne

Redcoat,  How did you find his name and service number, please ?

Edited by bif

Corinne,     If you don"t mind, do your cousins have the miniatures pictured OR the full sized, regular medals ?

40 minutes ago, bif said:

Hi Bif, 

As his First World War number gave no results on the UK Military Award Rolls on Ancestry, I searched "Currie" and "Seaforth" - he and his previous number came up. 

Then it was to Findmypast where I searched his pre WW1 number and surname for his Service Record. 

Cheers

RC

• Admin

To avoid repeating answers, I've merged the two threads about CSM Currie. 

7 hours ago, bif said:

hi, i joined a seaforths highlander group as i had a seaforths badge and my great grandads name. they found his service number for the first world war and sent me the first lot of info on a DCM which i never knew he had. The earlier regiment i found out yesterday as i now have a picture of the medals. this site was recommended by the seaforths group. you a

have all been amazing!

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

To avoid repeating answers, I've merged the two threads about CSM Currie. 

thank you 

7 hours ago, bif said:

Corinne,     If you don"t mind, do your cousins have the miniatures pictured OR the full sized, regular medals ?

these are the miniatures. I have recently found my long lost cousins and with info that i have and they have  doing my research is amazing. My great grandfather was an Original ragged school boy from Edinburgh.my great grandmother was Newhaven fisherfolk. im hoping to trace the original medals through my great grandmothers side when i find more about her. I feel so proud.

11 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

As they all appear to be miniatures and not the actual full-size medals it is extremely unlikely that any of them will be named...

It did occur to me that they might be miniatures after I went to bed!

On 29/08/2021 at 01:12, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Corinne,

Where are the large medals, one wonders?

Which is he, in the group photograph?

By any standards a magnificent medal group and a fine memorial to a gallant soldier...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Kimberly. I’ve circled him 😁5565146D-A3A7-47DE-9521-957DDA93B1B2.jpeg.7f3d3fb501fd780739f19e3071797579.jpeg