Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War diaries - WW1 Secunderabad, India & Military Records for Lieut. George A. Francis RAMC

minshullr

Hello - I am hoping you can point me in the right direction regarding where I might obtain more information about someone’s military service in India during WW1. Specifically, which War diaries I might be able to read at the National Archives which may shed light on a particular event where a train derailed in Secunderabad in circa March 1917.

I am researching a Dr. George A. Francis who was a dispensary doctor in Moycullen, Ireland. In 1916 he was granted a commission in to the RAMC, on volunteering for active service.

I know he served for a year and I've been unable to find any military service records for him. In the newspaper clipping (Galway Express 10 March 1917) it is reported that they had received a copy of the "Hyderabad Bulletin" in which a train packed with soldiers from secunderabad derailed. Lieut. G. H. Francis, formerly medical officer for Moycullen did fantastic work and has been written of in laudatory terms by the General Commanding the Forces.
Whilst he is G. H. Francis in the newspaper article I am confident this is the correct person.

George Aloysius Francis was born on 14th June 1880 in Spiddal and died 5th Aug 1934, Galway. There is a reference to him in the book Irish Doctors in the First World War, Casey P J, Cullen K  T, & Duignan, J P, 2015 

Newspaper_Clipping.PNG

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

An interesting article

image.png.1da93946dd35124a2d049b8c8e960504.png

Galway Express 06 May 1916

Courtesy Find My Past

George

Galway Express 05 May 1917

Has a report stating that Dr Francis was returning to his position as his contract with the army had expired. He was granted two weeks leave.

The British Newspaper Archive | findmypast.co.uk

George

Thank you George. Yes, I've spotted those stories. They are extremely helpful. 

I just wonder which regiment he was attached to. I might then be able to find out more about his time in India. 

Thank you!