Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Belgian NGI maps?

Kathie

I have found themapcentre website very helpful for ordering Blue IGN maps for France. For Belgium I am struggling becuase I dont know which grid number covers whcih piece of ground and the grid map isnt pop up for Belgium the way the French one is.

Can anyone tell me exactly which map I must order for:

1. Ypres - Frezenberg - Zonnebeek.

2. Wytschaete - Wulwerheim - Messines.

I see there are general maps and the bigger ones and I am trying to get the bigger ones. there seems to be a grid and then one also chooses if one wants the NE or the SW corner/portion thereof.

Thanks.

Kathie

Kathie,

Ieper = 28/1-2

Frezenberg = the same, but on the extreme right side.

Zonnebeke = 28/3-4 (= to the right of the preceding)

Wijtschate - Wulvergem - Messines = 28/5-6 (= south of the Ieper map)

All these are scale 1 : 25 000

(Price approx. 6 euros)

I'm afraid I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "bigger maps".

The ones I mentioned are 57 x 74 cm. (the whole sheet)

If you mean "bigger" = larger sheet, then you can find all these (Ypres, Frezenberg, Zonnebeke, Wijtschate, Mesen, Wulvergem) on the map IEPER 27-28-36, which is 57 x 100 cm.

Its scale = 1 : 50 000

This of course is a larger area, with in the bottom left corner part of Hazebrouck, and bottom right part of Tourcoing. Maybe too big ?

Hope this helps.

Aurel

Aurel

On similar lines, am I right in thinking that 28/1-2 will cover the area from just south of Wieltje to just north of St Juliaan (a little north of Winnipeg)?

My interest is the 1/6th Cheshires attack on 31/7/17, which started at English Farm and finished at von Tirpitz Farm. Croonaert has kindly let me have copies of the relevent trench maps.

regards

John

John,

28/1-2 shows a lot more than Wieltje and St. Juliaan !

Not easy to descriibe but I hope this will help :

- Top side : left corner = St. Sixtus Abbey (in West-Vleteren) ; centre = Boezinge village ; right corner = Vancouver Point (Keerselare, Canadian Memorial Brooding soldier)

- Right side : centre of it = Frezenberg

- Bottom side : centre = Dikkebus-Vijver (lake) ; right corner = Klein Zillebeke and Mount Sorrel

- Left side : centre = east half of Poperinge.

The distance from left side to right side = almost 16 km (10 miles)

From top to bottom = 10 km (6.25 miles)

(St. Juliaan - Wieltje = only 2.5 km (1.5 miles)

Aurel

My interest is the 1/6th Cheshires attack on 31/7/17, which started at English Farm and finished at von Tirpitz Farm. Croonaert has kindly let me have copies of the relevent trench maps.

John.

You should have mentioned that you wanted the modern maps too!

(von Tirpitz farm (ringed) is actually on IGN 28 3-4 "Zonnebeke-Moorslede")...

Dave.

post-4-1110485633.jpg

Kathie - have you found a source to buy these maps on-line? Last time I tried Belgian IGN would take an email order but only accept a Belgian cheque in Euros!

Kathie

The bigger ones are the ones you want. They are the 1:25,000 scale. I would add 28/ 7-8 to those that Aurel mentioned it's moving you out of the Salient but completes the picture. Also if you want to cover Passchendaele then I would seriously recommend the 20 grid as well. But then it's your'e money I'm spending which makes it kind of painless :D

Garth

Thank you all. I can do other things - like drive a speedboat and spot rare birds in riverine forest and spot a lyinng witness. Its just computers and maps and suchlike which are a bit challenging for this over 50.

Anyway, I am now clear.

Paul, thank you for earlier help (and I will see you at DW in June) but I have given up on my french and IGN and am using the suggestion from Garth - many many thanks indeed Garth - to use themapcentre. They will accept credit cards so my euros dont have to be purchased now.

Last time I was on the trenches I was six years younger and many many kilogrammes lighter and went to gym every day. I rather wonder why I think I am going to be able to do all this walking and hiking this time. Still I have three months to go and 90 days at the gym and not eating chocolate cake should enable me to clamber through mud and over obstacles - or perhaps I will just stay in my car.

Thanks for help

Kathie

Can I give a bit of a plug for themapshop.co.uk.

This morning I ordered the two maps I need for my trip. Price was cheaper than themapcentre. Delivery was cheaper. And I got a nice personal email this afternoon thanking me for the business and confirming they were being posted today. Now you can't beat that for service IMO.

John

Kathie - have you found a source to buy these maps on-line? Last time I tried Belgian IGN would take an email order but only accept a Belgian cheque in Euros!

I bought some last week and paid by IBAN; they don't take credit cards.

Can I give a bit of a plug for themapshop.co.uk.

This morning I ordered the two maps I need for my trip. Price was cheaper than themapcentre. Delivery was cheaper. And I got a nice personal email this afternoon thanking me for the business and confirming they were being posted today. Now you can't beat that for service IMO.

And they arrived this morning (less than 24 hours after ordering)

John

Thanks to all. I finally bit the bullet and ordered this afternoon. I used themap centre because I heard of them first and because I could pay by credit card. Not cheap. And the postage to this part of the world is exorbitant. Still, I expect them to be very useful. I am grateful for all the advice.

I am feeling a bit strapped and so have not ordered the Smith trench maps also because the Topography book is only 21 pouns and thats what 5 smith maps will cost me plus postage. So Ill think on it.

Kathie