Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munich and Frankfurt Trenches

Tim Birch

I am looking for detailed info on the action of 32 Division (16th Highland Light Infantry and 11th Border) at and around Frankfurt Trench between 18th Nov and 25th 1916 when the few remaining survivors were over-run. In particular I am interested in learning more about the abortive attemps to break through to and rescue them. It seems that more men from the units trying to effect a rescue became casualties than the total number men they were trying to reach.

There is some limited info in Martin and Mary Middlebrook's "The Somme Battlefields", and Lyn MacDonald's "Somme".

I have also heard that attempts were made by the RFC to drop food, water and ammunition to them, and at least one aircraft may have be shot down?

Any info or suggestions for further reading would be appreciated.

Tim

Tim,

There is an excellent five page account of this action in R W Goulds book - Epic Actions of the First World War. ISBN No 1-871085-39-X.

It includes a map of the position and an account of the eight days siege.

Bob.

Thanks Bob, thats exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. I am guiding a group to the Somme in Sept (It's an annual trip) and wanted to do something different and a bit off the beaten track, yet interesting.

We have done all the usual - Newfoundland Park, Thiepval, Fricourt/ Mametz, The Welsh Memorial and Bazentin/Longeuval Ridge, Serre, Delville Wood, High Wood, Lochnagar Crater. I thought a visit to Munich/Frankfurt trench with a narrative of the events which took place there might make an interesting half day.

Tim

Was Hugh Hector Munro, the noted Edwardian short story writer, better known as Saki, killed in the original action which led to the abortive rescue attempt? He was KIA on November 14, 1916.

His last words were reputed to have been "Put out that damned cigarette."

If Saki was KIA on 14th Nov it couldn't have been on Frankfurt Trench as the attack on it didn't take place until 18th Nov when it was first captured.

Tim

Saki was killed on Redan Ridge with 22/RF - very close to the Redan Ridge cemeteries N/NW of Beaumont Hamel. As Tim says, Frankfurt and Munich Trenches hadn't been reached at this stage.

Yes, I see he was killed in the general area but a few days before the attack took place.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

Just been reading up on something else but have come across a reference to a lot of the men from this action being buried in Waggon Rd Cemetery.

Thought you might like to know.

Bob.

The Frankfort Trench area is one of my favorite spots on the Somme battlefield and the action Tim brought up is also one of my favorites of the battle/war. I'm glad to have gotten a lead to read more about the action, THANKS!

Jon :D