Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help required reading diary entry

Skipman

This is an entry for the 19th Brigade RFA diary Can anyone help with the missing words.

"24th Nov(?)" 1915 The Brigade held its normal point the point at Veux on account of the heavy coats on the horses a chart? & compass? ??? was substituted. Teams of three? for each battery, of whom two ??? only to finish. The 96th Battery Lt Simpson & ?????? ??? ???? hay the only ???? to ??? the ????

Mike

Forum Question diary entry.JPG

.Brigade held its normal Point to Point (ie mini-steeplechase).......Teams of three for each battery, of whom two had only to finish. The 96th Bty Lt Simpson and ?combe won- these being the only ?? to ?? the course.

Edited by charlie962

Excellent charlie962 I wasn't getting it that this was a point to point competition and that they were at rest at this time. I thought they must be as there's very little to go on. now I know what it is, I have enough to go on. Thanks again.

Mike

A chart and compass race was substituted?

As in:-

THE ENGtiE CALCUTTA LIGHT . HORSE Chart and Compass Race C. H. MURDER DUES BE: TIME This popular competition took place on Sunday the Sth Mirth in the countrf around Chandpara where Mr. W. C. •Jurrie has his standing camp and to whom the Calcutta Light ...

Edited by PhilB

Interesting to read of the Chart and Compass Races started, it seems, in India in the 1880s and encouraged by Lord Roberts.

The last line must be something like:

..these being the only battery to get the course.

Not good English?