Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Class'd as ......... wound

Matlock1418

Hoping for some clarification of the apparently quoted / highlighted word from an Active Service Record please - Relates to a Lacerated wound. Left leg which had required admission to 2nd General Hospital 5/11/18, having been incurred 4/11/18, then evacuation to England by HS St Andrew - Cause of, condition of, treatment of or ???  [the "do" is ditto - Havre]

537814458_PAYNEGeorge-ActiveServiceRecord(2b)legwoundb.png.2a33a40e0d8524619ffbaa955c6d0878.png

1869717258_PAYNEGeorge-ActiveServiceRecord(2b)legwounda.png.f6f08a4b66bea6621a7c41d9608392ca.png

Images courtesy of Ancestry

= Injured?  Sufused? [sic], Infused? or ???

Later recorded in UK hospital as:

529282746_PAYNEG.c1437sick3b.png.7f752e3c27aadf7942950f646ae680b3.png

Image courtesy of Ancestry

[Note the change of leg!!? - Looks like (Accident) there to me, but no more explanation]

So what do members think about the first questioned word???

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
expand

30 minutes ago, NevB said:

Sutured ?

Thanks for your thought.

I wondered about that too - but in a larger view I think the up-stroke of the p, of Hosp below, runs into a third letter down-stroke from the mystery word.

It certainly could perhaps be a type of treatment - but stitches perhaps would be for an incised, rather than a lacerated, wound I think.

I'm currently thinking "Infused" - as in an irrigated wound - either to clean or for pain relief ?? [but I'm certainly not a medic!!]

???

Edited by Matlock1418
typo/omission

I'd go with 'Injured'.

It says 'Clssd. as'. Which would fit the syntax and context.

"Classed as Injured" fits and makes sense.

"Classed as sutured/infused/sufused/anything else", doesn't really make much sense.

It's a slightly unusual lower-case 'J' otherwise the other letters are fine.

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I'd go with 'Injured'.

It says 'Clssd. as'. Which would fit the syntax and context.

"Classed as sutured/infused/sufused/anything else", doesn't really make much sense.

It's a slightly unusual lower-case 'J' otherwise the other letters are fine.

Yes I agree with that.  It’s a categorisation statement (decision).

35 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Thanks.

Classed as or Classified as - Those options would certainly make sense and "Injured" was amongst my first options - as opposed to "Wounded" [especially when you see the other hospital entry of (Accident)].  The potential quote marks did however rather throw me - Why in quotes? - I probably was by then/now over-thinking it!  ??

Any more thoughts on a particular, official, reason(s) why that particular Class'd as phrase and the quote marks were used? [Not a phrase I have seen used before on an Active Service Record]. And, probably to a lesser degree, that (Accident) too? [Other than to perhaps emphasise the non-wounded aspect] - Again I'm potentially over-thinking it!!  ???

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s a categorisation statement (decision).

Thanks for this interpretation.

Just now wondering why used with quotes.

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thanks for this interpretation.

Just now wondering why used with quotes.

Presumably because it was quoting from regulations one of a specified list of possible categories.

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Presumably because it was quoting from regulations one of a specified list of possible categories.

Elsewhere "Wounded" doesn't seem to get the same treatment I feel.  Just struck me as rather unusual. 

At times the military system seemed pretty 'robust', and possibly rather unforgiving, in its definitions of physical and psychological conditions.

Thus expanding my thread a bit - I wonder what the other categories on such a list might have been ??? [OK, can probably think of a few speculative ones - possibly including "Wound, self-inflicted" or "Disease, self-inflicted" or "Malingerer" perhaps?? - but how official they might all be I cannot tell].

???

28 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Elsewhere "Wounded" doesn't seem to get the same treatment I feel.  Just struck me as rather unusual. 

At times the military system seemed pretty 'robust', and possibly rather unforgiving, in its definitions of physical and psychological conditions.

Thus expanding my thread a bit - I wonder what the other categories on such a list might have been ??? [OK, can probably think of a few speculative ones - possibly including "Wound, self-inflicted" or "Disease, self-inflicted" or "Malingerer" perhaps?? - but how official they might all be I cannot tell].

???

I don’t know, but compared with other fields an awful lot of medical history and data from WW1 still survives if you’re interested enough to want to dig around, e.g. https://wellcomecollection.org/works/xqc9qs4x

Edited by FROGSMILE

20 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

compared with other fields an awful lot of medical history and data from WW1 still survives if you’re interested enough to want to dig around, e.g. https://wellcomecollection.org/works/xqc9qs4x

Yes, that is true.

Thankfully for some individuals, sadly all too few, their Army files and other partial records were not kept with the majority of service records to later get bombed out of existence [like the majority were] - I particularly note the saved pension records [some partial pension/military service records, millions of index cards and a few thousand samples of retained files for those with disability].  I understand likewise more fully retained by/for the Navy and the RAF too.

Thank you for the link.

Edited by Matlock1418

How about suffused, as in spreading ? 

I'd go with Injured. It initially shows as an accident which normally equates to a court of enquiry to determine if it was self-inflicted. Looks like in this case it was deemed not to be a SIW.

TEW