Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cape Helles

david bush

I am trying to determine within which unit brigade/battery) my grandfather served in at Cape Helles, he was a gunner. I know from his notes he served with the 29th div there, but thats where it stops. He told me he served with a captain by the name of Sidney Ribgy Wason there, with whom he'd served pre the war. I have found allot on Wason. Wounded inference in Oct 14, Military crosses etc. Im hoping someone may know which unit he served in at Cape Helles, this would help me to understand my grandfathers service better. I have attached his medal roll index card if this helps. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 10.53.31 am.png

• Admin

This officer's name does not appear in the usually very reliable volume, the  '29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours book 1915-1918' [by Lt-Col R M Johnson CMG] and so far I have found no evidence that he served at Helles

Edited by michaeldr

11 hours ago, david bush said:

Wounded inference in Oct 14, Military crosses etc. Im hoping someone may know which unit he served in at Cape Helles,

Wason was with 130 Battery in France in 1914 for which he was MiD (French's Despatch of 20/11/1914) and wounded 18/11/14. But I do not know how long he remained with 130 bty (which was part of 30 Bde RFA under 3rd Division).

I checked the WD of the 29 Div CRA in Gallipoli which names Officers but I could not find Lt Wason.

Brian

I feared that ,right be the case, as I cant find any evidence, other than my grandfathers words. 

My grandfather was with the 130th battery pre war. He told us he re enlisted ewhen the war broke out and when he got to london or Eygpt he joined the 29th with Wason and went to Cape Helles and then to Suvla then onto France ( the french bit I have some detail on). As he was a Gunner, do any of you have a few of with Brigade / battery he may have been in a scape hells) sorry to bug you all. This forum is just amazing

Thx

David

8 hours ago, david bush said:

As he was a Gunner, do any of you have a few of with Brigade / battery he may have been in a scape hells)

His MiC shows that he landed in Egypt - what evidence is there that from Egypt he went on to serve on Gallipoli in 1915?

18 hours ago, michaeldr said:

His MiC shows that he landed in Egypt - what evidence is there that from Egypt he went on to serve on Gallipoli in 1915?

Hi

I have him on tape talking about his life. He went to cape Helles & Suvla, his words not mine. Thats as much as I know. The Egypt campaign 3 would suggest the right timing also

If the statements about serving both at Helles and at Suvla are correct, the you have to begin by looking for an artillery unit which served at both places, and there cannot be many of those surely

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi there,

I am continuing my search for unit details on Captain SR Wason. His medal card is further up this chain. I have now found a mention of him in the Times dated 29/1/1916, for "good work in Gallipoli" by Ian Hamilton, no mention of his unit though. I was lead to believe he ws in the 29th division by my grand father, however I have a copy of the record & hours book, sadly no mention. He did receive a MC in Feb of 16 though. His service no is 4037. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 3.46.53 pm.png

Okay, so now we know for sure that he served in Gallipoli. Without treading over old ground, isn't it the best bet to search through every RFA War Diary that served on the Peninsular?

• Admin

War Diary of 29th Division Commander Royal Artillery

Appendix listing 'commanding officers' 29th Division evacuated from the Peninsula at the end of hostilities

Wason is not named. Perhaps he was on the Staff (?).

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 14.20.57.png

Image courtesy Ancestry

I notice Maj. Gen (A/Lt Gen) Wason died in 1969 by which time he was CB as well as MC and Bar.  His obituary was in the RA News  August 1970.

Copies at RA Museum https://www.thegunners.org.uk/service/tracing-archive

Following on from Ken's above comment, have you investigated the Royal Artillery Museum archive, care of the Ogilby Muster website (see here https://www.theogilbymuster.com/royal_artillery_museum).

This is not the easiest site to search, but the RA Museum archives are amongst the best available and well worth checking and sorting through. It has thrown up some very useful information for some of my own research projects, but you do need to sort through the results.

Sepoy

If I know he was awarded a MC in January of 1916 is there somewhere, I could see for what he received it ? Perhaps that ,y provide clues. Ancestry etc , just give the date and his rank.

9 hours ago, kenf48 said:

War Diary of 29th Division Commander Royal Artillery

Appendix listing 'commanding officers' 29th Division evacuated from the Peninsula at the end of hostilities

Wason is not named. Perhaps he was on the Staff (?).

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 14.20.57.png

Image courtesy Ancestry

I notice Maj. Gen (A/Lt Gen) Wason died in 1969 by which time he was CB as well as MC and Bar.  His obituary was in the RA News  August 1970.

Copies at RA Museum https://www.thegunners.org.uk/service/tracing-archive

I suspect he may have been taken off prior to the evacuation. Having said that I cant find any other connection to the 29th, other than my Grandfathers words. The fact he was with the 130th battery, 30th Howitzer brigade in 1914, do this provide clues as to where he would have been transferred to in order to find himself in the Dardenelles?

8 hours ago, david bush said:

The fact he was with the 130th battery, 30th Howitzer brigade in 1914, do this provide clues as to where he would have been transferred to in order to find himself in the Dardenelles?

No clues at all I'm afraid. Neither the 3rd nor the 27th Division were involved in the Gallipoli campaign

From the Long, Long Trail – see http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/batteries-and-brigades-of-the-royal-field-artillery/xxx-howitzer-brigade-of-the-royal-field-artillery/

History

• Comprising 128, 129 and 130 (Howitzer) Batteries, this brigade was under command of 3rd Division.

• 3rd Siege Battery RGA came under operational command of the brigade in late 1914.

• On 9 January 1915 130 (Howitzer) Battery left the brigade to join 27th Division.

• On 25 June 1915 128 (Howitzer) Battery left  to join 29 Brigade RFA

• The brigade was broken up on 14 May 1916. 129 (Howitzer) Battery (less one section) went to 42 Brigade RFA; 130 (Howitzer) Battery (less one section) went to 40 Brigade RFA. Both of these brigades were also in 3rd Division. On 11 May 1916 the two sections had merged to form ‘D’ Battery of 23 Brigade, also in 3rd Division.

Captain Wason served with B Battery, 69th Brigade RFA and is mentioned a couple of times in the Headquarters War Diary, 27/9/15 and 12/12/15.

Regards

Alan

Edited by alantwo

On 11/03/2022 at 22:16, alantwo said:

Captain Wason served with B Battery, 69th Brigade RFA and is mentioned a couple of times in the Headquarters War Diary, 27/9/15 and 12/12/15.

Well done Alan!

The 69th Brigade RFA were at  ANZAC  from July to December 1915 and S. R. Wason appears to have served with their B Battery until 12 December 1915 when he took over command of the brigade

888632696_CaptSRWasonRFAGallipoliCcrop.jpg.5956f0b3c1f6475f7d71646b01e9e563.jpg

1246928333_CaptSRWasonRFAGallipoliBcrop.jpg.630e32e5597729704b048f63a28f4a60.jpg

1 hour ago, michaeldr said:

The 69th Brigade RFA were at  ANZAC  from July to December 1915 and S. R. Wason appears to have served with their B Battery until 12 December 1915 when he took over command of the brigade

Hi Michael

Just to add, the Army Lists show Captain Wason with B/69 in April 1915, extract below from the National Library of Scotland website. He also appears in a nominal roll of officers of the battery/brigade at Gallipoli in August.

Alan

895204796_69thBrigadeRFAArmyListsApr1915.jpg.5a472030570e7702a71867688d898ce1.jpg

Alan,

I cant tell you how excited by this I am. I cant thank you enough. I very much appreciate your help. 

Thank you Thank you 

David

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/03/2022 at 01:38, michaeldr said:

Well done Alan!

888632696_CaptSRWasonRFAGallipoliCcrop.jpg.5956f0b3c1f6475f7d71646b01e9e563.jpg

1246928333_CaptSRWasonRFAGallipoliBcrop.jpg.630e32e5597729704b048f63a28f4a60.jpg

May I ask where you found these diaries? Im struggling to locate. Thank you again, This is invaluable