Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Prisoners of War in Australia

christine liava'a

Can anyone tell me whether Germans living in New Guinea and its islands became POWs in Australia, or maybe in NG but under control of Australia, after the capture of NG by Australians?

NAA does not seem to have anything on NG people. It does have a list of those from Fiji, and in its master list of all internees there are 315 from Singapore,361 from Ceylon, 358 from HongKong, 26 from Fiji, and 11 from Borneo.

I am trying to find a list of Germans in New Britain, New Guinea etc in the war period.

Any ideas?

Christine

I think it's most likely that PoWs from New Guinea ended up in Australia, or were going to end up in Australia, as I recall an article in the old War Memorial Journal about a large internment camp that was constructed in the [then] Federal Capital Territory to hold enemy aliens. The plan was to move interned aliens to the camp from all around the Pacific, including Hong Kong, the Pacific islands, and other remote spots. The camp was located about where the Commonwealth Avenue bridge crosses Lake Burley Griffen in present day Canberra.

The camp was finished in the first week of November 1918, and wasn't used.

I hope that this helps. I can dig out the article if you need it.

Regards

Gareth

Certainly the staff of the old German Administration from German New Guinea were interned in Australia during the War.

There is a great deal of information in the Australian Official History, Volume XI, 'Australia during the War' Chapter IV.

Chris Henschke

Thanks,

Gareth, but don't bother, since it never got used.

Chris. I'll have a look at it

Christine

Whilst Australia is the logical location, it may be worthwhile checking S. African records. S.Africa hosted a large POW/internee population.

Roop

• 1 month later...

Christine,

I would guess that they ended up at the Holsworthy Internment Camp, near Liverpool, NSW. You should be able to do a search of the AWM site to find some records of it. However I don't know if they have the internee lists,

Chris