Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Having a lovely time in Blackpool. (2nd and 3rd Line battalions on the Lancashire Riviera 1916-1916).

high wood

On 02/06/2023 at 15:56, ilkley remembers said:

Certainly looks like a good match

The list of billets you posted on 08/05 shows RAMC men in Clifford Rd and Cheltenham Rd, which are close to Carshalton Rd.  (For info there is an alleyway on Sherbourne Rd near the junction with Carshalton Rd which is where a Blackpool Police Inspector was shot and killed by London criminal Frederick Joseph Sewell in 1971 following a bungled raid on a jewellers).  

I will have a patrol this afternoon and hope to come up with a match.

Brian

On 07/06/2023 at 13:06, high wood said:

Sadly, the pictures do not show the tops of the front doors.

Going back to the picture with the babies in the pram, are there five steps up to the front door on the far right (as we look). If so, another possible is 32 Chesterfield Rd which is the next but one to Carshalton and next but one to Cheltenham Rd where we know RAMC men had billets.

In the 60s when I was a teenager these streets were full of clean boarding houses. Not so these days.

002.JPG

It will be either Carshalton Rd or Chesterfield Rd, Blackpool North Shore.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the two men circled in the front rank in the photograph previously posted might be the same as the two men in a more informal setting in the second photograph.

The men in the second photograph are 48686 Pte Percy William Micklewright and his brother 48685 Pte Richard Wallace Micklewright.  They served together in 129th Field Ambulance RAMC which was a unit of 38th (Welsh) Division.  They disembarked in France on 2nd December 1915. Richard survived the war and Percy died of pneumonia on 10th February 1919.  Percy kept a diary during his service but sadly the first page has been lost and the surviving pages pick up the story as they cross the English Channel.

It maybe that my comparison between the two photographs is deluded.  I would be interested in the objective views of others.

RAMCLiverpool.jpg.ee357e63606c65402a8d1efa88e6bae5.jpg

PMicklewright.jpg.99845199f74d89ea3ada3922586bd8c8.jpg

Edited by Bordercollie

Thank you for the identification. The two Welsh Field Ambulance post cards are not postally used so I have no idea who sent them or when they date from. I have a third Welsh Field Ambulance photograph that may, or may not, have come from the same source. They have in been in my R.A.M.C. album for many years and I cannot now remember where I bought them.

The third post card was sent from Rhudd, Aberystwyth, on the 27th July 1914, possibly from the annual camp, by 1400. Pte James Lloyd, 3rd Welsh F.A., of 4 Pleasant View Terrace, Swansea.

There is a Hospital Admission for 48686 shown as J Micklewright 179 FA on 09/04/1918 into 3 CCS. EDIT The entry in the register on closer examination shows 129 FA. Cause PUO.

MH 106/369.

I had a look at the BNA via FMP for the 1914 and 1915 Blackpool Papers using Medical Billets as keywords. There is a report in the Blackpool Gazette and Herald 29/12/1914 about Dr Rees Jones, the Blackpool Medical Officer of Health, drawing attention to a concert to be held on 02/01/1915 in respect of Welshmen billeted in Blackpool and two further reports on 02/04/1915 and 13/04/1915 for RAMC billeted in North Shore using St Paul's Church recreation rooms. It does not specify Welsh RAMC.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

• 5 months later...

Liverpool Scottish again. This postcard is dated December 1914 so assuming that this is Albert Road. the numbers on the houses are R-L 65 to 69. the name above the door ar 65 appears to be Evans which would fit in with the named occupant on the 1911 Census

liverpool scottish albert road 1914 2.jpg

Yes it is Albert Rd, the rooms below street level are the giveaway. 67 and 69 are surrounded in scaffolding at the moment.

Blackpool Brian

Think the buildings have been much altered since this photo was taken