The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

silver war badge

Guest taimarley

Guest taimarley

its been a while since i left a message here, and still no further in my search to find out about my great grandfather arthur white. I have been speaking to a couple of lovely historians at the worcester regiment today regarding another issue, but they seem to think that if grandad was invalided out(which he was due to the wound) then he would have recieved a silver war badge, is there any lists of recipients? ihave tried to find great grandads medal card on the N.A sight but to no avail, i have tried to look in the gazette for record of his gallantry medal, also to no avail....i'm really clutching at straws here. i have a photo of him in a royal warickshire uniform, but the guy at the R.W museum felt that as a signalman he was not one of them????all so confusing...can anyone help????thanks

You could post the photo that you have of him. That would enable people here to confirm Royal Warwicks and also to help you out with other identifiers on the uniform.

If he is Royal Warwicks then his name should appear on a Royal Warwicks role with information recorded against his medal and swb entitlement.

There are five Warwickshire Arthur Whites listed on the NA database but you obviously have information that has enabled you to eliminate those from your enquiry. If you post fuller information here about him, there may be forum members who can assist you.

Regards

Paul

Guest taimarley

hiya i have posted his full details before, but here is a brief outline,

name:Arthur White

d.o.b. 15/05/1886

invalided out due to shrapnel injury to head. memeber of the old contemptables.joined army as child soldier and went to india for sometime prior to WW1.

recieved medal for gallantry

i have only checked one of the cards on the NA site, as i believe if i remember rightly there was only one Arthur White (with no middle name) the one i checked didn't seem right, and i can't find the information from it now(typically)

thanks for your response though and as i said any help will be greatfully recieved.

have just checked NA site and my old email and the one i checked was wo 372/21 which was not right?

post-23-1110379129.jpg

I'm not a uniform expert but the one he is wearing in the photo looks to be pre WW1. Also, the fact that he was born in 1886 would suggest that this is pre First World War. He would have been 28 when war was declared and he doesn't look that old in the photo.

The 1st and 2nd Royal Warwickshires were both serving with the BEF in France and Belgium in the opening months of the war - the 1st RW with the 4th Division and the 2nd RW with the 7th Division. You mention he was an Old Contemptible so this would place him with one of those battalions.

There are medal index cards at the National Archives for the Military Medal (if this was the gallantry award). It should also be relatively straightforward to find reference to the DCM (if this was the gallantry award) but I'm afraid I can't remember how to go about doing this - but somebody here will, you can bet your bottom dollar.

Paul

I agree with the previous posts definately pre- war photograph I have seen several of this type taken in india @1902-1908 which ties in with your belief he was in India at some time.

The london gazette records for the M.M. gallantry medal shows a signals sergeant named A. White awarded the M.M. in 1919 you can see the gazette entry here:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Is there any connection between the your G.G. and Norwich? As that is the detachment of Royal Engineers (all signallers where in the R.E. prior to the formation of the Royal Signal Corps) That sergeant 24518 A.White "R" Corps signals (Norwich) belonged to.

It would really help if you can glean any more information from the citation. Have you missed a postcard or something similar with a service number on the back? I had a postcard for 23 years without realising the six digit number on the back was not a date but my great grandfathers service number :lol:

Keep posting anything you have and we will keep digging! Can you definately say your great grandfather did not have a middle initial?

Good luck.

Paul.

Guest taimarley

hi, thanks for your help so far, interesting that the uniform was pre WW1!

i don't believe he had any ties with norwich. he was born in newport and after moving to birmingham he stayed there, i have never heard mention of norwich?

GGrandad definately didn't have a middle name, on his birth and marriage certificate it says just "arthur white" and nan already thought he didn't have one.

i am going to have to contact my dads cousin, she has the certificate that should accompany the medal( although sadly we don't have the medal) it is so faded and barley legible but i recall it said " for gallantry ......in operation two or eleven( could be roman numerals?) of ....and then it mentioned what i believe was cherisey? the certificate was signed by major general tunicliffe or cunicliffe, really hard to rememeber, i will have to get it back to look at, problem is, because its in an old frame, you can't take it out to scan! i'm fairly sure it mentioned 18th division? but on the top line where his name was it looked like 2/ something????

nan isn't sure what medals he had but she remembers one called a le mons star?

i'm so sorry its all so vague but really do appreciate the help, all the little pieces will hopefully match up one day?

Le Mons - not to be confused with Le Mans...

Yes, as an Old Contemptible he would have been entitled to the Mons Star or 1914 Star. As an OC, he would also have been entitled to a clasp on that ribbon. He would also have received The British War and Victory Medals. If your relative has the certificate it may have his number mentioned on it - that will lead to a positive id. The medals just mentioned will also have his number; the first engraved on the back, the other two engraved on the rim.

Write down all the details you find, post the information here and then you should get closer to finding out more about him.

Best wishes

Paul

Guest taimarley

hi, unfortunately the medals were left to nans brother who held no sentimental value to them!!!!! i have however begged nan to ring stans widow and see if she has just the tiniest bit of information about great grandad!

the certificate has faded at all the wrong places and no number is visible, i will have to try and get it back to look at though, see if i can make some more sense?

thanks for all the help so far, hopefully get there in the end, all the best to you all.

Hi,

There is no one with the name of White listed as having been awarded a DCM with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Fred W

Morning all,

There was a Cuncliffe in charge of a mob in East Africa. Given the Indian connection this should not be ruled out.

Roop