Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help finding location of death

Harbourart

Hi,

I am currently transcribing interviews I did in 2005 with veterans of the Great War and am struggling to understand a location.

He was talking about his father being shot by a sniper at what sounds like "Gilly Beck Wood on the Western Front".

His father was Sapper W Roberts Service Number: 43968, 90th Field Coy. Royal Engineers and the date of his death was 10 December 1915.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

Off the top of my head I'd guess Zillebeke or Gheluvelt. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to help you figure out whether those suggestions would fit with the soldier's DOD and regiment.

1 minute ago, knittinganddeath said:

Off the top of my head I'd guess Zillebeke or Gheluvelt. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to help you figure out whether those suggestions would fit with the soldier's DOD and regiment.

Thank you, Zillebeke sound about right listening back to the recording.

The War Diary for 90th FC RE at the time of his death (and the latter part of November) shows the unit at Dickebusch and at work in the Ypres area. Therefore becoming a casualty near Zillebeke is quite possible.

WD 90 FC RE Dec 1915 (2).png

Edited by UKAIF
Amended response

1 hour ago, UKAIF said:

The War Diary for 90th FC RE at the time of his death (and the latter part of November) shows the unit at Dickebusch and at work in the Ypres area. Therefore becoming a casualty near Zillebeke is quite possible.

WD 90 FC RE Dec 1915 (2).png

Thank you, that's a great help.